1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Horrible Examples of Fish Tanks/Keeping

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Anthony, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

On YouTube.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvCIoo1gc-o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvCIoo1gc-o</a> This is a 10 Gallon tank with Discus, Angelfish and MORE !

And the "updated" version of this video. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GRd5sWukko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GRd5sWukko</a>

2. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Did you read the comments! so many are saying they are keeping Discus in 20 gal or below.

3. Anthony

I know, it's crazy.

4. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

"Don't worry about it", Can I also keep a pirhanna in there? Please. I know someone will say yes.

5. Anthony

Of course.

6. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Just the stress barring on those discus alone should give someone a clue somethings not right.

7. nossie

nossie Member

MY GOD!
    Such stupid excuses this guy has!
    C: "The water does not matter. the angel fish and diskus will each grow over4.5 inches! Right now it is fine but as they grow you will need to upgrade! sorry :("
    A: "Actually, It's all about the water. That is the most important aspect.  Why do you think fish stores are able to keep many fish inside of a tank for display? Exactly, frequent water changes and the use of RODI water keep ammonia and nitrite/nitrate levels in check."

Durr. That doesn't change the fact that these poor fishes are bumping into the glass all the time :C
    Luckily he DID mention that it's only a temporary home... so maybe he will upgrade soon?

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hey, if it's something YOU want to hear then you'll probably buy into it...or keep asking until someone tells you what you wanna hear.

Sickening! I bet they aren't even doing partials (which makes matters even worse). Ugh!

9. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I have a plant in my tank i don't need to do partials because it's a planted tank! Don't cha know you don't need water changes when you have a plant. It sucks up all the impurities. It has 2 leaves now that are a beautiful yellow color. (exaggeration)

Some people take what info they want and forget the rest. It's about them not the fish.

10. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I really hate to say it but that is about as stupid as it gets.
    I may have seen worse in my life but I can't remember when.

Rick

11. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

If you watch the video the guy says he is doing 10% water changes weekly.

12. James0816

James0816 New Member

No comment!

13. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

He's actually some what correct tho. If you can keep water clean enough, if it fits in it works the fish will live but most likely not be happy (especially if it's claustrophobic) but if you kept so much fish in 1 tank and you do like 100% water changes 2x a day it will kill off all your BB causing you tank to crash and go into a mini cycle thus killing all the fish. But he's right it's all about the water and the ammonia and nitrite/nitrate, BUT IT'S JUST NOT POSSIBLE. I had overstocked tanks before I did 50% water change everyday, but it was just a grow out once they were bigger all went their separate ways, I had 9 Discus, 15 silver dollars, 9 electric blue jd ( had over 40 clown loaches but it was impossible to keep everything in check with so many fishes so moved them into a different tank) It was lots of work and highly not recommended......

14. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

We're talking about an advanced hobbiest who does not work and need to spend all their time with there elbows wet.

15. Anthony

Keeping water clean is a big part of allowing you to overstock a tank. That being said, 10% a week, even if the tank only had 2 Discus, in a 10 gallon tank is too small an amount in my opinion. A 10 gallon is just too small for a pair of Discus, let alone all the other fish in there.

16. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

haha yup unless they are grow out discus fries but his seem to be a good size and you can see the difference in the 2 vids the discus's health is depleting FAST.

17. Anthony

Yeah, I noticed how stressed they look.

18. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

WOWOW look what i just found <a class="postlink" href="http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/1785289288.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/1785289288.html</a> this joker claims he's breeding discus in 10 gallon tank......the discus is tall as the tank >.< what a waste some people are just sad...

19. Anthony

Wow. Why are the breeders not in the 55 and the fry in the 10's ?

20. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

seriously....