1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how did you get interested in the aquarium hobby?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by cooltow1, Aug 9, 2009.

1. cooltow1

cooltow1 Thread Starter Member

How did you get interested in the aquarium hobby?

Rick

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: How did you.....

I think I had my first real fish tank when I was about 14ish. I'm sure I had fish before that but I can't really remember. :) The first one I remember was a 55 gallon saltwater tank that I kept Foxface's and Damsels in. I think my interest in fish stems from my love for animals in general.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

When my boyfriend (who is now my husband) brought over his tank when he moved in..Loved fishys prior when I'd seem them anywhere though too!

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

My sister used to keep a GIANT Oscar... I wanted one... I also moved into a new apartment and set up a pond on our patio with Koi and JUMBO fantails...

I got an Oscar... and it evolved to Discus... REALLY long story...

5. B Haley

B Haley New Member

Sea Monkeys from a comic book, ran from there.

Did I JUST date myself???

6. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

friends of my dad had given my son a betta in a 1gal glass vase. then we moved up to a 5gal, then 10 gal, then a 20 gal. the 5 & 10 are now empty and we gave the 20 to my sister -in - law. we now have a 55gal with mixed african cichlids and a 125gal with oscars & Jack dempsey.

7. cooltow1

cooltow1 Thread Starter Member

Yea, pretty much, I started with seahorses from the back of the comic book

Rick

8. WarthogWilly

WarthogWilly New Member

just started a month ago, i always liked them and i figured with the newborn in the house, the lighting from an aquarium is perfect for dim lighting our living room, so i can kick back in the rocking chair, and feed him or rock him to sleep while watching my fish...

9. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

had some spare money decided i wanted a hobby opened front door saw a flyer for fish lol

10. ira

ira Member

Started when I was 8, I got 5 gal. Which I keep mudminnows

11. alpinefish

alpinefish New Member

When I was little, I had a goldfish in a bowl 'til it died. When I went away to college I had a betta or two. Then last year came the bullheads, and my first foray into "big" tanks, with filters and stuff. When we go fishing, we bring the minnows home, and put an airstone in the bucket and feed them between fishing trips.

12. punkazzoverb

punkazzoverb New Member

mom started a basic salt water tank when i was about 8 or so, then she upgraded to a 150 reef tank. I always liked fish.. but i liked the fish that people don't regularly have. so instead of having a regular pleco, i get an albino pleco. So, instead of regular fish.. i have piranha.. Their amazing creatures.

13. CichlidStorm

CichlidStorm Member

for me, well I started working at a petshop in buffalo ny when i was 12, they would only let me feed fish and birds and what not, but i didn't accept a paycheck, but used everything i made as credit in the store to purchase my first tank, was a 75 and had a pair of jack dempsey in it. well 17 years later, i have over 150 tanks running and over 25000 gallons

14. combatdat

combatdat New Member

as a kid I always had turtles, with my current position at work I have plenty of time during the evening and weekends that I used to have to devote to Soldiers, no Soldiers currently and my kids wanted fish... voila I am addicted.

15. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

my grandpa had a 20g fish tank ever since i was born,bro took over it started to breed guppies, gave it to me i sold it bought a 120 gallon with 4 wide bars not to mention all the other stuff i have lol

16. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

My interest started when I was a kid. My dad bought me a small aquarium and I used to have an assortment of community fish. Then when I first moved down to Massachusetts I bought a betta. From a small betta tank it went to a 20 gallon community (which took a flying leap onto the floor), then upgraded to a 55 gal community. From that point I decided to give cichlids a try in another 55gal, and now I'm I'm addicted to them. The fish hobby has to be one of the most addicting hobbies out there.

17. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

My uncle bought me a ten gallon tank when I was 13.

18. Cynthia

Cynthia Member

when I was six my aunt took me to a fishstore.. I got two little fish that were stripped, and look alittle like tigers, Bards or something can't remember but if I saw a picture I would instantly know, named tigger and tiger ,they died when her little 2 year old accidentally over fed them...but it got me into the hobby cause "Me want pretty fishie too!" my mom says I'd always run around saying that when I was 2-4ish she had that tank atleast 7 years before I was born :)

19. nossie

nossie Member

I always loved fish and sea creatures allover, in elementary school my best friend got a 23 gallon tank with some tropicals and plants and I just couldn't stop staring at it.
    One day we got some guppies from a friend of mine that I kept in a 5 gallon with some Canadian pondweed.
    And about a year later the friend with the 23 gallon didn't want it anymore, so we bought it, and now mom keeps some fantails, mollies and catfish in it C: that's when the real interest started and I was borrowing tons of books about aquariums and fish keeping.
    Then I got my three fantails for my 18th birthday, and now I have two tanks running with 6 fish, and about to upgrade to an 83 gallon and get one/two more :C

20. GREENTEAL52

GREENTEAL52 Member

My Brother had Oscars ,Jack dempsy and Snake heads in a 55 gallon and that got me started