1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how did you get interested in the aquarium hobby?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by cooltow1, Aug 9, 2009.

1. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I've always been fascinated by water and sea creatures (real and imaginary) so at 8 yo I bought a 10 gal metaframe tank and started with guppies. In 1965 people thought I was crazy an 8 yo having a fish tank. Lots of trips to the library kept me going and my fish alive. Lots has changed over the years. No more sea monkeys out of comic books or the 8mm projecters. LOL

2. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

3. islabucasgrande

islabucasgrande New Member

We used to live in an island facing the pacific and the ocean had just been blessed with rich marine biodiversity. I was just fascinated by the beauty of the finned creatures ang I started caring for them day after day. After we moved to the mainland a little over 5 years ago, I still continued with the hobby and started caring a number of betta fighter fish.

4. heatherine

heatherine Member

My mother usually had a fishtank going...we were in the military and always moving, so other pets were less practical. We usually rehomed the fish before we moved, but I remember once she was so attached to her angels that we transported them in the back of our station wagon from Texas to New Hampshire (and they lived!). I started when I bought my house in 2000, with a goldfish in a bowl. Did a little research as he started growing, and bought him his own little hex tank with filter. I kept trading up in size, 10, 20, 30, 40. Finally bought a 55 and only have had that one for awhile, but now my son is getting interested so he has his own little 5 gal. I would seriously have 10 tanks if I could afford them and/or had room for them...I have to keep in mind my financial and space limitations!
    PS My original goldfish has since been rehomed, since he grew HUGE and never did learn to play nicely with others. He now resides with a neighbor in his own 35 gallon tank. :)