1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how do I care for my fish while I'm away?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Leslie, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

going outta town.
    Okay here in like um.. 4 weeks i am going out of town. I will be gone for 2 weeks, and i need to know what to do about my fish. i wont be here to feed them or change there water. There is noone that i can have come over and feed themor change their water. any ideas??

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: going outta town.

Well, you could use some of those vacation feeders but they can easily mess up your water quality. The best thing would be an automatic feeder.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

fish can last a long time with out eating so get 1 or 2 vacation fedders i left for 3 weeks and there was a little food left and i used to never change my water and my fish were always alright

4. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

With the 5 gallon and cookie jar betta, you could easily transport them to a neighbor or friends house while you are gone.

5. Dox13

Dox13 Member

I agree. There has to be someone around you or related to you that could take them for you until you get back. Those little frogs may not make it if you don't have someone care for them.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, I'm not sure the frog would fare too well without "real" food.

7. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

yep, just do wc's before you leave and just have someone feed them a lil' once a day.

8. Leslie

well i would let someone take care of them but i am leaving with my family so there will be NO ONE to take care of them

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

you seriously dont have any friends other than your family? There has to be someone I am sure that will take care of your fishies, if not take them with you!

10. Dox13

Dox13 Member

I'm afraid your little frogs will die a slow death if you dont' have someone care for them or take them with you.

11. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

You could see if a local fish store would keep the frogs for you while you are gone.

12. Dox13

Dox13 Member

That is a good idea. Maybe where you bought your fish would take care of them for you while you were away. Maybe the person who cares for the fish daily would take yours home with her or him and take care of them until you get back.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Vacation feeders work in a pinch. I've used them in the past and they kept my fishies all alive for the 2 weeks when i went away.
    Can't say either way on the feeders (digital)...never used one?
    If your really worried you can always toss in a nice new plant for them to munch on in addition to a vacation feeder? Tetra makes the ones that look like flake food in a mold...they work excellent. As for mr. frog, or is it a mrs? well you could toss in some brine shrimp to keep him happy while your gone.
    I always follow the feed them heavily a week before I go away, then I toss in a potted plant in addition to a vacation feeder. So far, I've never had a death due to being away [dancing]

14. Dox13

Dox13 Member

Did you have dwarf frogs when you used it? I really don't think they will make it. I hope I am wrong if she doesn't have someone care for him while she is gone. If I remember correctly her fish are in a 5 gal tank so the water is going to get dirty fast. The betta is in a 2 gal cookie jar and may do okay, but I don't think the fish will make it 3 weeks. The ammonia may get them if a fungus doesn't. Just my thoughts.

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I don't think the frog will be able to or know how to eat from a feeding block. That's what worries me.

16. Dox13

Dox13 Member

I agree but if she has her fish except the betta in a 5 gal tank that isn't enough clean water for them to live in for 3 weeks. I do hope she can find someone to care for them. I always have someone to care for my bettas if I have an emergency where I have to leave the area. How many fish counting the frog does she have in the 5 gal tank?

17. Leslie

im not going to be gone for 3 weeks. only 2 weeks. like i said time and time agian i do not have any fish friends.

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How far away are you going ?

19. Dox13

Dox13 Member

Do you live in the state of VA? If so I can meet you someplace and get your fish from you and take care of them until you get back.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

shes in tn