1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how do I care for my fish while I'm away?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Leslie, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Dox13

Dox13 Member

Re: going outta town.

Sorry I can't help.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Re: going outta town.

I had dwarf frogs before, but mine were in a 10 when I went away for a week.
    They did okay in a 10 with a feeder block (the ones that look like flake food and not the pyramid vitamin looking blocks)...I actually did a dry run a week in advance to make sure he would be able to eat. Mine ate the flakes as the block slowly released them. I can't vouch for all frogs, and again...mine was in a 10gallon at the time compared to a 5...but it's the best you can do if you have no other choices...and the plants were nibbled by some of my fish/frog...because when I came back they had the bugger ripped apart...lol.

3. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

How My Fish Did While I Was Away:

How My Fish Did While I Was Away:
    ok. i dont know how many of you read my post on here. but i left for 2 weeks. left my fish and had my uncle come feed them and my other animals. well, the bettas died. but the frog, platys, and both catfish made it. and well there was a surprise too. there are 2 little fishys swimming around. they are white.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Re: how the fish did while i was gone.

LESLIE! I was wondering when you were getting back. I guess you coud say I was kinda worried about you, lol. Anyway, sorry to hear about the bettas, and maybe they are the two little white fish?! Hope all went well on the vacation.

5. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

i think the 2 little white fishys are mickey mouse platys. but they have no mickey. so i dunno. i will try to take some pictures of them so every body can see.

6. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

Sometimes those babies hide so well you don't see them for a couple weeks after they're born -- I was checking on my endler babies and just realized one of them is starting to turn orange -- it's a platy!

Sorry about the bettas, usually there are such tough little critters.

7. phishin

phishin New Member

What do you guys do on long vacations?

What do you guys do on long vacations?
    Just got back from a week long vaca, and lost a few swimmers. whats the best thing to do while gone ??

8. James0816

James0816 New Member

Re: What do you guys do on long vacations?

If I am going to be gone for an extended amount of time, I usually have a friend come over and take care of the pets...includes feeding fish.

Maybe look into automatic feeders? Can't vouch for them though as I have never used them.

9. phishin

phishin New Member

I had someone here once a day... he said he kept the light on 24 hours and then turned off for 24... could that have done something with too much light.. and then lack of light for that long?

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

While keeping the light on for 24 hours a day over an extended period of time is not good for the fish, it wouldn't kill them if it were left on for 24 hours, then off for 24.

Did you test your water after returning home ?

11. James0816

James0816 New Member

Doubt it uness you have a high powered light that will significantly raise the temps up.

12. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

1 week away, I close the door and it's lights out unless the tank has plants, then they're on a timer. The only fish that are fed are the fry, with a detailed explanation of who gets what, and how many times a day.
    2 weeks away, son #1 stays at the house and has a long list of things that need food, water, and exercise ...
    3 weeks away ... Oh heck that just doesn't happen.

13. phishin

phishin New Member

Yea, the parameters were a tad higher than when i left, but no huge spike that would suggest a death trap.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: How To Care For Fish While You're Away (Advice Needed)

Exactly what was higher ? I know this is a bit off topic from the main question but I'm curious what killed the fish as well.

For freshwater fish, depending what type, if the tank is well established I wouldn't worry about feeding them too much. I would leave the lights on a timer and allow them to eat anything in the tank they can find, algae being the main thing.

15. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Yeah, I do run a timer for that reason. Also it saves a few minutes of your life each day with the tank running automated. It also saves electricity and your fishes sanity AND helps control algae....

Timers are definitely the way to go!

As far as the time away from home goes, I portion the food out in bags for the person feeding them and tell them put everything in the bag in once a day...

16. phishin

phishin New Member

the trites and trates went up from when i tested a day before i left , but far from being a huge spike -- tested nitrite level was 6ppm and the nitrate was at 33 ppm. the ph came down .4 points from 8.3 to 7.9

:confused:

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well that's not good. How long has the tank been running ?

18. phishin

phishin New Member

good question, i posted my noobie post about a month ago, and had the tank up and running for 2 months before i posted. so that makes it almost a 7 week cycle period, and have gradually been adding fish since. haven't added any in about 3 weeks.

19. angelLuver

angelLuver New Member

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:19 am
    i am leaving today and will be away from my fish for 4 days...i am cleaning my tanks and giving them both a pwc..should i leave the light on or off.. i also bought a slow release weekender fish food tab. i will toss in the tank before i leave...any thing i am missing?dont want anything to happen to my fishy family members while i am away !!!! i feel bad leaving them!!!

20. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:24 am
    I would skip the weekend feeder, they'll be fine for 4 days.

Rick