1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how do I properly clean/maintain my aquarium?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

ok. so just rinse the gravel agian and the decor and plants and the heater. do i need to rinse the filter out to?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah that will be fine. No, the filter will have circulated the aqua safe through it so nothing toxic will be in the filter itself.

3. Leslie

oh wait after i rinse the rocks can i just put them back in the tank and fill it? or does the tank need to be rinsed too?? and i am starting on the 29 gal tomarrow!!!

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You don't really need to but if you're up to it have at it.

Yay! At least now you know what to do so you won't have to go through all this with the 29 gallon. :D

5. Leslie

yeah i know. and it is mostly the gravel thats being cleaned tomarrow. i have to wait until i get someone to move the tank. i just cant wait till they are ready for the fish. i want to start the plants before i get any fish. cant wait.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Setting up a new tank is always exciting, no matter how long you've been keeping fish.

7. Dox13

Dox13 Member

Congrats on your baby that you are expecting. When I set a tank up I always let it run for 2 weeks before I put any fish in it. Of course you may not need to do that, but I do so I know the water is balanced and good bacteria is in it and it won't spike with ammonia and kill my fish. I also use sponge filters in my tanks even if it is a large tank I will use a sponge filter and a hang on filter in it. This is just what I do, but hope it will help in someway.

8. Leslie

ok. i just finish rinseing my gravel and fake plants and decor. the water that i took out smelled fish. i dont know if that is normal or not. (let me know if it is). but i am glade i did. i feel much safer. i laid the gravel in the tube and took the shower hose and cut it to super hot water and put it on the presher wash dial and sprayed it. so i know i got it all. and i think i am still going to wait on the 29 gal. i want someone else to move the stuff. i got wore out over the dang 5 gal.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

your going through a lot of effort! Ive never cleaned out a tank as well as you are. I switched from reptiles to fish in my 55 gallon and I want to say that I just used some reptile sanitizer spray and then rinsed that out with hot water. In my other tanks I normally rinse them with hot water and then go from there. The only thing I have ever seen to remain is algae, I had a bad algae bloom in my ten gallon before I shut it down and it stayed out of commission for almost six months. I just set it up and the algae said hello again within a few days. I combated this problem with a pleco and a product called algae-gone.

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The water shouldn't really have a smell, especially if there haven't been fish in the water. It could just be because the tank was still dirty (just a guess).

11. Leslie

i hope it wasnt still dirty. maybe it was because the water was warm. i dunno. but i redid everything except the bleach. just a very good rinse. so i hope it is safe.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You used bleach, it should be fine, don't worry. ;)

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I just used the lemon and salt trick on my 40 gallon to get out some serious serious calcium build up and it seems to have worked pretty well.