1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how do I transport fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Aug 14, 2008.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

Transporting fish and water
    So this summer my parents are planning to get work done on our house. I will have to transport all my fish tanks and fish out of the house, and drive them to my work for boarding. Thankfully it's only a 5 minute car ride. I would like to know what the safest way to transport all of my fish, frogs, and toads.

2. BobV

BobV Member

get the new tank ready and cycled, then transport in bags, just like the fish store.....1/3 water and 2/3 air.....keep them from getting chilled. Acclimate them to the new tank slowly.

3. California Cowgirl

they'll be in the current tanks that there in so i wont have a tank to cycle, i'll have to move there tank and the fish at the same time

4. Aironia

Aironia New Member

what ive done is transport the water in diffrent containers. We put water in coolers, large trashcans with lids and in those five gallon jugs you can buy water in, in diffrent grocery stores.
    I transported the fish in gallon pitchers with the lids on them, and in ziploc bags. Keep the gravel under water if you can when you do empty the tanks, to keep all the good bactera etc. Transport as much of the original tank water as you can and once you put it back into the tank i let my fish settle in for a night. (i was able to transport 45% of the water in my tank) the next day i slowly filled the tank with equal temp water. I used stress coat/prime. they recovered pretty quickly and i had no deaths.

oh and by the way...it was a freshwater tank.

5. California Cowgirl

ok, i'm thinking of at least transporting my puffer's water as it's salt and use the 5 gallon jugs as it's only a 20 gallon tank, but as far as the others go, i'm not sure

6. sianixx

sianixx New Member

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:51 am
    transport advice?
    Hi all. I get my new tank next week from a guy that lives 2 hours away from us :confused: Any advice on how to transport them will be greatly appreciated ;)

7. BobV

BobV Member

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:38 pm
    1/3 water from the tank they are in and 2/3 air. Carry a small cooler, that will keep them warm. if the fish are of any size, only one fish per bag.

8. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:01 pm
    I agree with BobV, I moved Discus over 3 hours before, kept them in a styrofoam cooler and only had 1 fish per bag.... They CAN go over 48 hours in that condition ALTHOUGH that is not preferred if you can get them out as soon as you can...

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i moved 4 monster fishes 15" long dats with a sterilite bucket a bag and a air stone was fine for like 3 hours. You just put the garbage bag in the bucket or tube put water in side the bag (so it's like a giant fish bad and bucket for it to hold it's shape) then fish in side drop in the battery operated air stone thing tie off the top and you are good to go no worry if your bucket isnt water tight it wont spill!!!

10. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Last time I moved I put my fish in a cooler full of water from the tank. Kept just enough water in my tank to keep the gravel covered and moved the tank that way. Filled the tank half way up, added the fish and water from the cooler, and then filled the tank the rest of the way up. Didn't lose a single fish!!!

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

TRANSPORTING FISH THE SAFE WAY

SUPPLIES:
    1) 5 gal buckets from Wal-Mart and lids to go with (Paint dept)....

2) then grab bait bucket aerators that run on batteries (usually 2 D's which normally aren't included) and come with a small piece of airline tubing and an airstone (Fish dept). If you feel the airline tubing is not long enough then grab the smallest package you can find (Pet dept).

3) After that grab a bottle of dechlorinator such as Tetra Aqua safe since wal-mart doesn't carry Seachem Prime (Pet dept).

4) If need be you can use your tank heater if it will across the bottom of the bucket, if not you can always pick up a small heater for a 5g tank at wal-mart (Pet dept).
    -> To run a heater in your car use a "dc to ac adapter" that plugs into your cars lighter.
    Such a product is sold here-->
    http://www.dealsvista.com/deal/universal-dc-to-ac-car-adapter-us-plug/46339

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1) Drill small hole in lid/lids and feed airline tubing partially through. Attach airstone to bottom and aerator to top. Aerators usually have clips to attach them to buckets...use the clip and attach it to the ? metal handle of the bucket. If your particular model doesn't have a clip then just temporarily Duct Tape it to the bucket (Duct Tape is also near the Paint dept).

2) If your running a heater then drill a hole to allow the plug to go through the top of the lid and once the plug is in place duct tape around the opening to prevent splashes while driving. Make sure the heater is submersible and lay it on the bottom of the bucket (if it comes with suction cups then suction cup it to the bottom).

3) Fill your bucket no more than 3 quarters of the way full using either your tank water or tap water...when using tap be sure to try to get it as close as possible to the tank water temp and ALWAYS add dechlorinator to it (you can dose for the full 5g).

4) Turn your aerator on and if using a heater plug your heater into the adapter and the adapter into your cigarette lighter and then set accordingly.

Now you have a covered tank with oxygen (no spills) and heat (if need be)that you can safely drive with ;)

:D If it's really cold the day of transfer you can insulate the bucket by wrapping a blanket/towel around it.
    :D if it's really hot the day of transfer you can always put a few pieces of crushed ice or small icecubes into the bucket (or float them inside a sealed ziploc baggie).

This can also come in handy later on if you need a quarantine tank or fry tank ;)

12. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

thats my way but i say line it with a bad to be extra safe from spills

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I don't line...I like the idea of the white bottom (white bucket) so you can get a fast glance to make sure everything is okay.
    Harder to see everyone on black...unless you use a white garbage bag of course.

14. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I use the 5 gal bucket method a lot for short trips
    Fish boxes are expensive

rick

15. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

well i have light orange garbage backs so i could see most fishes easily

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

light orange, nice!
    I've seen different colors, but never orange :)
    :D would make great leaf bags and then covert them to pumpkins by shaping and drawing the face on.

17. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol i don't have that much holloween spirit xD :eek: my sis was born on holloween so im better think about what to give her!

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

a orange bag with leaves and a punkin drawn on the bag. Lol!
    J/k