1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how do i trim my plants?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Leslie, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

how do i trim my plants?

I was wanting to know how to trim my plants. i havnt had any in such a long time i forgot. but i have Anacharis and Stargrass. can anyone help me?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You should be able to trim both of those pretty much anywhere. Just make your cut directly below a leaf. I'm not really a "planted tank" guy so if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Stargrass: Trim it by pinching the top off right above the leaves at the desired height. Trimming the top off of this will promote it to be "bushy". I replant the top and it will grow roots and continue to grow.

Anarcris: Just cut the top off in between the rows of leaves and replant top... the will continue to grow too... Anacris can get a bit bushy, but usually not much (not like stargrass).

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

one thing about trimmind any plant (above or below water) is that if you break the leaves with your fingers instead of cutting them this breaks the leave along the cell walls instead of splitting the cells in half as scissors do. This gives the leaf a better chance of survival.

5. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

ok. thanks. they need to be trimmed they are to tall for my tank now.

6. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

By planting the stargrass, you will get thicker tops and more plants.... I started about 2 moths ago with 5 stems.... I now have about 40 stems! Take about 5 rows of leaves off of the tops so when the top gets re-planted it has a bit to it already.