1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how do you get plants to stay at the bottom?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Leslie, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: cant get plant to stay down

Just shove the stem under the rocks so it says. If you cannot do that, gently tie it to a small rock or ornament. They can also grow just floating in the tank.

2. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

i did that and it came up. it was stuck since i got it. it came up the other day.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Something probably knocked it lose. Just sick it back in.

4. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

ok. i will do it.i need to put it towards the back anyways

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

They sell stem plants with the non-lead weights. I save ALL of mine and cut them to fit what I need later. They work great! Ask your LFS if they have any to spare, they may. Cut about a 1/2" per stem, just enough to keep it down and wrap around the stem.

6. dig317537

dig317537 New Member

what is your gravel depth, and do you have a lot of snails? somestimes the snails movement in the substrate can cause the plants to uproot. of course the fish that pick at algae that might be on the plant could disturb it too

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

get yourself a small terra cotta pot and shove some gravel in it and stick it in there if your substrate depth isn't deep enough, go with Anthony's suggestion and gently tie it with fishing string to something of descent weight, Buy plant weights at your lfs, get yourself some of those black plastic planters & growing medium and put them in there (google mikeswetpets for online ordering--it's under OTHER)