1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how long does it take for you to do tank maintenance?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by California Cowgirl, Mar 5, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

4 tanks, 2 1/2 hours: partial water changes, 2 100% water changes, 1 sifting that took forever

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

15 - 20 minutes for partials done weekly (that includes hooking up and disconnecting plus addition of chemicals).

Filter maint. takes 45 minutes give or take (includes disconnecting, re-connecting, rinsing..blah blah blah)

Daily feeding/re-planting IF necessary/and leaf removal IF necessary/Glass cleaning IF necessary (10-15minutes)

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Eh, I would say for my two tanks the weekly water changes/substrate vacuuming takes me about an hour.

The plant supplements I dose on the one tank 2-3 times a week takes me maybe 5 minutes max per dose.

Trace elements get dosed 1-2 times a week and takes me about 2 minutes.

Like Dawn, cleaning my canister filter takes me a good 45 minutes.

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Cleaning all 7 filters on my 4 tanks alone would take me about 3 hours if I were to do them all at once.... I dont do it that way though. I break down maintenance over the week and spend about 20-30 minutes each day during the week and I spend about 2 hours on my tanks on one day on the weekend. That is counting water changes too...

5. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

about 30 minuts for the filter and another 30 for the water change.
    Feeding takes about 5 min a day.
    And then there's watching for problems about 20 minuts a day :)
    And I spend hours watching the fish living their lifes :)

6. fordfreak67

fordfreak67 New Member

Just got done with my 50gal , gravel vac, all decor cleaned, filter,30% water change, 50 min, would have been longer but I did't stop for a cig. [dancing]

7. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I just did water changes in 4 of mine. 20% in my new 20 long, about 35% in my 55 gallon, 20% in my 10 gallon, and 20% in my five gallon. The 55 and 10 included vacuuming the gravel. Knocked it out in about 45 minutes... I try to do mine once a week but I've been busy lately so its been 2 weeks since the last water changes...

8. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

to long....

9. LemonDiscus

:)

Today is a beast of a day with tank work... 2 hours into it with several more to go... I am cleaning sand and adding it to my 55... I still have to treat my driftwood and add it to the tank....

To make matters worse I need to do a 25% waterchange on my 125 :confused: It is due for it now and I really should not put it off any more....

Buckets, buckets, buckets and more buckets...

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I guess I am a slow one....I have 22 tanks 75-60-55-55-55-45-42 bow-30-30-30-20-20-20-15 the rest 10 I spend a hour to two a day every day. it is the best hour I have a day really love working in the tanks don't hurry at all. Now granted I am a retired person and I have all day...but , I enjoy spending that time with them.I work otherwise with animals all day the fish do not have as many challenges as the birds or critters here.

11. LemonDiscus

I hear that... birds take a lot of care... I have quite I jungle here too...

1 African Gray
    1 Monk Parakeet (Quaker)
    2 Leopard Geckos - 1 incubating egg
    2 cats
    4 fish tanks!

Care for all the animals puts me down about an hour or 2 a day here as well... I try to get a bit of time for the tanks each day and do enjoy them a lot too... I also have to have my time to play with all of them because as you know, you dont want a bird to turn on you! It takes more time to correct a bird than it does to train it right to begin with...

The Geckos are a new addition and I am learning about them now! That is the fun of pets for me is the learning and observation.... It is amazing what you learn by keeping animals... it takes understanding to another level! Nothing like looking into a bird/reptiles eyes and understanding what they are thinking...

I am not really into mammals though... I find them rather simple and not much of a challenge

12. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

lol you should see my house, 2 horses (don't live with me but still need a llot of care) 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 fish tanks, 1 aquatic frog tank and 1 toad tank which is a pain to clean the water part

13. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

20+ tanks, 1000+ gallons, I do 25% w/c every Friday night, or Saturday morning.
    Fry tanks get changed twice a week. The process from start to finish takes 4 hours give or take a 1/2hr depending if I run out of hot water :oops: ...
    I'll change filter media as I see the need, but I do check Nitrates and Ammonia weekly on some tanks with more fish than it should have...
    This hobby border lines on an addiction :roll:

14. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Fish are an addiction :) The only point is that its a good one!
    Littarly watching the movement of fish is good for your blood pressure :)

15. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

I'd love to agree, but have ya watched the aggression in an African tank? Nothing relaxing about it at all !! :D

16. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

True true :)
    But Thats why i've got a peacefull community tank xD

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol, you're not kidding about African aggression. I had them and they we're nasty lil buggers.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Well I am kind of forced retired had a pond business three years ago when I got very sick long hours can do that to you. So at 53 I am a retired person. I do loads of rescue mainly finding dogs for others but i am also a breeder of small dogs and i have a Great Dane. the birds are longtail fowl and long crowers you can google the longcrower Denizli and the longtail fowl onagdori and see what I have ...plus more then the house birds..a few goats, a few cats and tanks to keep me moderately busy.
    My tanks are really to help me get over no longer being in business some of them were in the greenhouses for Koi that I bred. Now only have three of the 13 ponds I had and enjoy more time with the tanks you do not get as messy as cleaning ponds and lifting to divide things. Same principle only loads smaller.I have been planting water lily in the tanks of late the mini type to get blooms which kind of fills the lily dividing needs I have every year.
    I miss the business just not some of the people....I now have the birds full time to keep me busy and I sell eggs to breeders .I kind of am a little known for my birds, so I get my prices.
    I am much better with being a critter handler then a person working with people.we are supposed to be smarter then animals..........nuf said.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I agree with African tanks but the Jacks and Oscars can be that way too. There is something about a working South American tank you cant beat. They all have that edgy on the edge aggression but they hold back. What you see then is wired but not mean.Can be crazy mean.....just add a new fish to the mix, but mostly they have their own space. Must be like me..............lol

20. drazzill

drazzill New Member

well my house has 6 cats, 2 dogs, 7 snakes, 30 hex tank with walking sticks from asia somewhere( about 7 inches long when mature) had them for 5 years now, they lay eggs( scatterers like tetras) die and babies appear, kind of neat, one cockatiel, rabbit, 2 rats ,one mouse, 3 tanks(10,2x29's)and finally 4 hens and a duck(drake), and FIVE kids lol