1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Guppy how many males in a male only guppy tank & what temp?

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by Guidoman888, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 Thread Starter New Member

How much male guppys would go together alone. I'm thinking of putting a few in that tank that isnt used anymore..

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

If theirs no females you should be okay with as many as you have room for...the aggression doesn't become a factor until you add a female to the mix.
    Mind you that as with all fish, each can be unique in personality and you could always get those "special" ones the refuse to go with the norm and turn nasty just because they can.

3. Guidoman888

Ok thank you :) What would be good for guppy's the good old inch per gallon rule(wich barely comes handy)And what is there favorit temprature? (I barely know anything about gups) :)

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I do 76-77F on my tank (I try to keep it a bit lower due to the plants)
    77F-80F and you should be golden Guido. I suggest the 80f because they do better warmer, it keeps issues such as ich away imo, but be aware any fish kept in warmer temps will have a shorter life span.

What size tank are they going in and what's in the tank already?
    Figure adult guppy as being roughly 2"

5. Guidoman888

Its around 7.5-10 gallons. The'res nothing in the tank yet. And another thing, The fish store might have some tanks left wich they do away for about 10 to 15 euros (around 20 dollars) These are old tanks wich need a good cleaning but the're mainly around 20 gal I can really use one :)

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd say with 7.5g 3 and with the 10g 4-5 of them. They mainly swim at the top layers and seem to like tropical flake food, Spirulina flake food, Live brine shrimp, bloodworms, and green algae. Substrate doesn't really matter (again, prefer to keep towards the upper levels). And toss in a plant or two for security (tall with stems they can hide/swim between).

7. Guidoman888

Great. I got 1 plant that needs to be cut that's exactly like you told. IT grew so quick ^^ Then 'the other ''perfect thing'' is that I feed my other fish tank Tropical fish Flakes and Bloodworms. They really seem to enoy it So I think the guppy's will enjoy it to :)

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sounds like your good to go!

9. fuzzer41

fuzzer41 New Member

Y0u can put at least 10 guppies in a 10 gallon tank, 15 for 20 gallons, and so on. My own rule is 5 per 2 gallons, although you want to provide lots of hiding spaces, and make sure the males are about the same size, so there is no competitiveness in size. If there are any rips in the fishes tails, you have too much males in the tank.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I wouldn't do 5 in a 2 gallon tank, but I can see where you're going with your stocking...and a side note for smaller tanks--> I wouldn't advise adding females due to the possibility of them already being pregnant and risking the chance of overstocking due to offspring which would lead to water chemistry issues.