1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how often do you maintenance/clean a eheim 2260?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by phishin, Apr 2, 2009.

1. phishin

phishin Thread Starter New Member

Canister Filter Maintenance: When Do I Thoroughly Clean It?
    Went from 2 400 emperors to a 2260 large eheim for my 54 gal. corner tank about 2 months ago, and i have read varying times on when to dismantle the can and clean out the substrate. Ive read anywhere from once a month, to every 6 months...

What do you guys suggest??

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You have substrate in your canister filter or do you mean when to clean the canister filter and when to clean the substrate ?

3. phishin

i have the substrate, not the stackable filters.

If im going to take it apart to clean anything, i might as well clean everything all in one shot, substrate and inside the can..no ?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You've lost me there.

I generally clean my canister filter every month. My substrate gets vacuumed every week as I'm doing the water change.

5. phishin

sorry, i have too many message boards going on at once to be coherent here...
    inside my can i have the eheim substrat media, that's where i lost ya.
    does the media in the can get rinsed, and returned to the can every month or so... and then after 6 months just replaced with new media.... ??
    still lost ?

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay. That can be rinsed off in old tank water. That's only used to house beneficial bacteria so you'll want to make sure you don't rinse it in hot water or water containing chlorine. You won't want to replace that since it's your biological filter.

7. phishin

Gotcha. [dancing]

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

but I would clean it every month.

9. phishin

it being the filter media??

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

yes, and do what Antony said about the type of water to use in cleaning it.

11. phishin

got it. [glasses]
    So i took my time last night and did all the above steps... had a huge strainer and took the media out from the canister and rinsed it in a 5 gall bucket full of my tank water. After the rinse i kept the media in seperate bowls full of tank water also. I took the can and gave it a thorough rinse in dechlorinated warm water. Put the media back into the can (filled it halfway back up with tank water) and set everything back up. Nothing was out of water for more than 45 secs tops.
    Crystal clean water again.

This morning i have a very light haze and i think it's mini cycling for some reason.... is this normal?? I took care not to keep the media out of water for long periods, and used tank water to rinse it and quickly put into bowls.

Either way thanks for the info.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:28 pm
    Cleaning your canister filter shouldn't make your take go into a mini cycle.

Did you try testing your water ?