1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

How stupid....

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by B Haley, Jul 22, 2009.

1. B Haley

B Haley Thread Starter New Member

I have started this post so many ways.. but it comes down to.. stupidness..I know to research any fish that I add to any tank.. but this time I dropped the ball and got 2 clown loaches... off the charts cute.. oh yeah.. but can I provide the enviroment that they need when they grow to full size... NO!.... now I have fish that will not live their life span unless I can find someone with a huge tank... maybe a zoo?. The thing that bothers me is that this is a life.. and I am responsible for it.. and because I did not research the species before the purchase.. what have I done?

Geeze.. new member and already has regrets.. sorry all.

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

It happens.... unfortunately most LFS dont tell you what you need and just sell you the fish...

If the tank is too small EXTRA large water changes will do wonders! Keep a 50% at LEAST 1x a week cycle and the fish will be OK for a while til you can get a bigger tank.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

You can always take it back to where you got it (most reputible retailers will do this for incompatibility).

4. B Haley

They are in the 60 gal and I change the water 2x a week.. I just feel bad for the fish! I dropped the ball on this one.. this is the ONE fish I did not research... and wouldnt you know it.. the fish require more care than I can offer.. at least to be able to grow to full size... how stupid.... I am SOOO kicking myself!

5. LemonDiscus

2x a week water changes and a 60 gallon tank... you should be fine.... yes they grow large but what else do you have in there with them???

6. B Haley

I already know that they will be fine.. but my worry is that I know that I cannot provide for how big they will get ( you cannot imagine how hard I am kicking my self now)

Right now as long as they are young it is good.... I may have two years in order to place them in a suitible enviroment....I think.

I have the guppys and crosses in there as well .

7. LemonDiscus

You will figure it out... either send them back to the store you got them from or you will find a way to make it work... TRUST me you could have bought them for a 10 gallon tank...

8. James0816

James0816 New Member

Don't beat yourself up over this. Unfortunately, it does happen a lot. The biggest thing you can do (outside of getting a larger tank) would be to see if you can take them back to your LFS. Don't wait until they get really big as some places won't be able to take them in. Then you'll really be in a pickle.

Very great character fish with lots of personality. If ya really want to keep them, try to get a larger tank within the next few months (can't believe I just said that).

9. B Haley

I have thought alot about it, I could take them back to the lfs but they would just turn around and sell them again and the fish would be no better off, at least here .they will have a good home.

The only thing I can do is to get a bigger tank and make it a species only tank and just let these little jewels do what they do.

Thanks all for the support, I take my job as guardian very seriously, my decisions affect them so I need to make the best ones I can.

10. Stellaluna

Stellaluna New Member

IME (or anecdotally from others, rather), clown loaches rarely reach their true potential size unless they are put in super large tanks. I think you have quite a bit of time, regardless, and they'll make an excellent species tank - great fish and very interesting.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If I remember correctly they grow pretty slowly as well.

12. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

It will take 7-10 years in captivity to even get 6-8 inches. My dad has a group of 12 that he has had for 5 years and they are only 4.5 to 5 inches so I wouldn't stress about it to much.

13. James0816

James0816 New Member

No offense...but if this is the case...they are severly stunted and not taken care of very well. They should reach the 5" within the first year to year and a half. From there their average growth is nearly two inches a year.

Yes they grow slow...but not that slow.

Just how big is the tank anyway?

Woops...my bad...just saw 60g.

14. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

They will be fine. I have 2 perfectly healthy clown loaches in a 55 gallon. One of them I bought had been brought to the LFS by someone who had it in a 20 gallon tank for years! Just keep up with your water changes. In 60 gallon tank i'm sure they will be just fine.

15. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Don't feel to bad a lot of people have made that mistake just be thankful it wasn't a pacu or iridescent shark

Rick

16. James0816

James0816 New Member

lol...again...no offense...but refer to my last post.

And just think ..... people complain about bettas in a bowl and turn around and keep fish like this in what amounts to a bowl. [cussing]

Sry guys and gals .... not fair to the fishies.

17. LemonDiscus

Given proper water changes and water care you CAN keep large fish in tanks happily (so long as they can move) that are not quite large enough... I HAVE kept almost a foot long Oscar in a 55.... Not that it was right but it was all I had. I did give him to my LFS about 3 months later though because 4 water changes 30% a week was getting hard to keep the nitrite levels down.

Water changes are the KEY to proper aquarium maintenance. Again... IF the water is changed properly a 60 gallon tank would be OK for Clown Loaches! Its NOT like she put these into a 20 gallon tank!

Keep in mind Anthony (no offense man) has TOO MANY angels in a 20 gallon tank. He DOES however tend his water properly. Do I agree its right.... no.... BUT as long as the water changes are done properly and frequently it will be OK till he gets to the point he needs to make a decision.

Sorry James but NOBODY is ragging on Anthony doing what is actually worse than her with the loaches! She does have a fairly large tank....

Again no offense Anthony I just have to make a point about this! You were the best example I could think of at the moment... :)

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Um thanks...

19. LemonDiscus

:) sorry bout that again... I just had to stress the point of the frequent water changes on an overstocked tank! You even noticed what it does to improve the health of the tank and the fish and were even surprised at it.

My point is... Water changes... If you have an overstocked tank whether its too large of fish or too many, as long as the fish can move and the water is changed MORE often then recommended typically (typically the recommendation is 20% once every 2 weeks) and increased accordingly to how you are overstocked... you will be fine....

I speak this from personal experience! Even you Anthony very seldom do I stress points like this... I DONT say things that I dont believe to be true! I have overstocked tanks before without any harm to the fish. Actually my Oscars grew up in a group of 4 in a 55 gallon tank. I got a pair and removed the others. Those 2 stayed in the 55 for almost a year together til I got my 125... They BOTH grew to almost a foot long, along with my Pleco that grew to 14" long.... this was in my 55! I changed my water 30-50% 2 times a week and overfiltered my tank by turning over my tank 10x per hour... They were fine

They were then all moved to my 125 where they spent almost another year until my situation with them happened (if you dont know I am not going into it on this thread as it is a different situation)....

As anyone knows I overstocked the 55 and was cutting it CLOSE with a pair of Oscars even in my 125... the fish ultimately died to other causes NOT related to tank size (1 got stuck under a decoration, replaced it 1 jumped and 1 I gave to the LFS)

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm glad to be an example of what not to do. :)