1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

How stupid....

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by B Haley, Jul 22, 2009.

1. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Poor Anthony :)

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think I said this before... I need to add to my signature "Do as I say, not as I do.". LoL

3. James0816

James0816 New Member

Ok...final comment...nothing on this subject from me after this...i'll bite my lip.

plain and simple...bad advice on all accounts (including the over stocked angels...didn't know of that one....sry anthony :confused: )

It's all good. As long as the OP takes care of them...that's what will matter.

4. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

What are you talking about James what bad advice

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Hey anthony, wanna few more (the lady was mumbling something about a koi shipment in the works).
    Haha!

Ps. holler at me once you decide the ones you don;t want (I just might be interested, unless you already have plans for them).

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ps. Don't feel bad anthony..they are better in your 20 than being crammed in a 10g at the fish store and not being well fed or having their water changed imo.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If only I had my other tank over here. I'd divide it up and keep the Endlers on one side and do some on the other.

No plans for them yet other than I have to find homes for them. You're more than welcome to them if you'd like.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'll defin take them, just give me a shout once you decide which to keep and shoot me a price of course :)

9. B Haley

B Haley Thread Starter New Member

Ok everyone, I really did not mean for this to go in the direction it seems to be going, I really dont want sides to be taken.

I made an uninformed decision to take these fish,, yeah, my fault, but rest assured that these fish will have the best possible life in my care.

Just so everyone knows.. this is my 60g tank... I have 20+ guppies/ endlers crosses, 2 clown loaches, 4 swordtails, 1 micky mouse platy, 1 adult bristlenose, and 3 baby bristlenose... with the swordtails and the platy.. any babies get eaten.. pronto!

except for the loaches.. my tank is actually understocked

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

No griping here>>they are probably better off with you regardless.
    Most lfs have tons of fish crammed in 10g "holding" tanks that are constantly plagued with diseases such as ich and what not. IF they get a water change they should consider themselves quite lucky.

At least you know what your doing/did...and how to maintain a tank.
    My opinion is that they will at least live in clean water and be fed (more than most fish stores do) ;)

11. B Haley

LOL, They do get fed very well here, this is a typical feed... a few algae tabs for the baby bristlenoses, a sprinkle of baby dust for any babies that might be hiding, a sprinkle of micro pellets for the guppies,swordtails and platy and 4 sinking carnivore tabs for the loaches, everything is gone in about 20 min and the loaches also have lots of snail babies to snack on. Their new tank will have sand substrate and lots of cubbies for hiding.

The LFS has two more that are about 4 inches in a 15 or 20 gal tank with cichlids.. I feel really bad for them.

12. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Your loaches will be fine in that tank. Like I said, I have 2 in a 55 gallon tank. Keep your water changes up and they will be just fine. :)

13. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I agree with you Dawn on both cases. Both Anthony's Angels and this case. I know what you are talking about with the 10 and 20 gallon holding tanks most stores (smaller ones) use and the larger stores run the systems that cause diseases to spread to everyone FAST.

I have had overstocked tanks (now I have enough tanks I am actually REALLY understocked)... we all have and MOST of us can STILL provide a better environment than most "non-experienced" fish keepers OR the stores can... If we were not that interested in our hobbies none of us would be registered or even use this forum!

I was not trying to attack anyone in my cases I mentioned because as I said I even did this. Heck, I kept a baby Oscar in a 10 gallon when I first started... that fish forced me to get a 30 gallon, then a 55 and ultimately died due to a bad acclimation into the 55... then I bought the group overstocking the 55....

I have done bad choices with fish, but still, it could have been worse! I could have been that one that bought an Oscar for a 10 gallon with NO intention on upgrading (sadly some people figure when their fish dies they will just buy another one.)

That stocking is still not that bad in the 60 gallon... MOST of those fish put a VERY low pressure on the overall bio-load of the tank! The only fish on that list that will put a high bio-load are those loaches... Again water-changes and it WILL be fine.

You learn about the importance of water changes with keeping Discus. That is why most people loose them. I even learned my lessons the hard way with this. There are other things when keeping Discus that need to be taken into account but the MAIN thing is to change the water. Most Discus enthusiasts UNDERFILTER their Discus tanks because Discus DO NOT LIKE movement in the water. So due to the lower filtration these people are changing their water 20-30% DAILY!

14. B Haley

I talked to my LFS and they have a 90 gal bowfront that has the canopy and everything else and they are willing to let me make payments on it until paid off and that I think will be the loaches new home. It will take me a bit to pay it off but I have the time right now, they are still small... which brings me to another question... once I have the tank set up and cycled do you think that I should take the two 4 in. loaches too or would that be over stocking? there would be a total of 4 loaches in that tank.

15. B Haley

I just found a 100g complete on craigslist for 350.00 shot off an email to them.

16. Stellaluna

Stellaluna New Member

Craig's List is THE BEST. Hope you can snag that tank - great deal.

17. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

sounds like a good deal :D i got my 125g off of craigslist

18. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

19. B Haley

The seller still has it.. sending emails now so it looks like I may get it!!!

Then I found a 400g for 1000.00... Oh how I wish!

20. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I would make an offer on the 400 you may get lucky