1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

How to fix a trait in Guppies/Endlers

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by MasterBlue, May 12, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

(Posting this outta boredom. I know the more serious hobbyists know all this, but just so I can try to do something worth while while I do nothing... This post is also a vent on people on other forums I've been to.)

Now, as we have some well experienced members here who should know something like this, I think it's still important to post it.

Lets say we have a male that you absolutely love. In this case, he is a blue fish. But, you bought him from a pet store and all your fish are green. You want to have more blue fish, but can't find any females from the store. One method you could do is inbreed. Inbreeding is how all the fish that breed true were created. It requires time, tank space, and lotsa effort, but in the end It is well worth it if your really aiming to get the best with what you have.

Lets start. First step is go get two tanks set up. One for your male(sire), the other for your female(dam). You want to pick a female who carries trait that are similar, but if this isn't possible then just do your best.

Now, alot of people think it is the males trait alone who effect the colors and markings of the offspring. This is absolutely not true. Just like us, the dam's trait go into it too.

Breed your sire and dam. (simply place them in the tank together. We assume she is a virgin and never mated)
    After a little while, when signs she has been hit (the male have succeeded in fertilizing her) remove her to her own tank. This tank should be also equip for the fry. Once she drops (gives birth) Remove her from the tank. You are now done with her. Either return her to the male's tank or place her back into the tank with the other green fish.

Wait and watch how the males from this drop develop. I recommend removing them from it since you want the females from this drop, not the males. Either cull them or make a new tank. I recommend trying to trade them at the pet store. This first batch will be a buncha muts.

Once the female are of age, select the healthiest one and breed her with her father. Remove all the other females from the tank and do what you will with them.

This new female will drop fish more closely resembling the blue male. After some time (and once you start to get the fish you want to get) Take two females and place them into two different tanks. These two will be for out crossing. Repeat the breeding with the sire till you have the exact fish you want.
    (If you find a nice drop of fish that you really enjoy the look of, then you can breed brother/sister and get a similar effect. But that is not what I'm trying to talk about at this time.We are trying to recreate the original male in this line.)

Breed them again with the blue male. Place these near females into there own tanks and keep them till they drop. Remove them and let the fry age. Again, remove the males to another tank. But keep them this time. You want one male from both drops. Place them into the opposite tank they came from, let them breed with the females. You do not need to keep as close a watch from here on out. Simply allow nature to take it's coarse. But do remove any fish that do not carry exactly what you want.

This entire process can take in the upwards of years. So dedication and patience are key. Hope this helped some one out =P

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Just something I wanted to add to this as far as Endler's go. Myself and others have seen that females are pretty genetically neutral and it's basically the male and his genetics that determine what the offspring look like.

3. MasterBlue

I was working on the reverse of this, my female was the one I was working on. The male wouldn't have anything to do with her sadly. Neither would most other males for that mater! Sadly she passed on right before I joined you guys here...

4. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

This is called line breeding and has been done for years.

5. MasterBlue

Well duh =P I was just posting it. Like I said, I'm sure almost everyone on here knew how to do this already XD

6. nossie

nossie Member

Fascinating! :D
    It's very interesting for me to read about this kind of things :)