1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

i got 1 crystal red shrimp for a fish bowl, need care help.

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Alliah, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Alliah

Alliah Thread Starter New Member

is just 1 easy to take care of?

2. Aquaman_95

Aquaman_95 Moderator

Yes, aquarium shrimp are generally easy to take care of. Just be sure to do 25% water changes weekly. How large, exactly is your bowl?

3. Alliah

Alliah Thread Starter New Member

thanks, many people say they are extremely hard to care for but i think that is if you want to breed them. ( i don't, i just love their beauty)

it is about 1 1/2 gallons, with sand, rocks, marimo ect.

4. Aquaman_95

Aquaman_95 Moderator

Unfortunately, they are an exception to "easy". They are a bit more difficult to care for, and they are much more expensive than other shrimp. Crystal Red Shrimp, are best kept in a planted aquarium. This way, they will have places to hide, and will have an opportunity to find something to eat. As they are sensitive to water parameters, do not use water preparation chemicals, or parasite killers in or around the aquarium. Change the water at least once a week. Be sure to replace the changed water, with dechlorinated water. The ideal water temperature is 70-78F, and the pH should be 6.2-7.2. It is important that the pH does not drop too low. Too acidic water is dangerous for shrimp, as it weakens their alkaline shells.

5. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

May I asked how did you cycle this bowl? As Aqua said they are VERY sensitive to water params and will die almost assuredly if trItes or ammonia is present.