1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

I need help figuring out where/how to fit upper filter

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by san_sam, May 1, 2010.

1. san_sam

san_sam Thread Starter New Member

Hey ppl as u all know I recently got myself a 45gal tank.. I have bought all the stuff I would need for me to set the tank ready.. But now I have a huge problem.. I have bought a upper filter which looks like this... http://www.boyuaquarium.com/UploadFiles/2007102492522275.jpg I thought there will be place in the hood to fit the filter but there is space to fit the filter but not make it sit.. I have attached the picture of the tank and filter. Please suggest me on wat to do.. :(
    01052010042-1.jpg 01052010044.jpg 01052010047.jpg 01052010046.jpg

Attached Files:

2. san_sam

Pls help guys... :(

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

won't the filter fit UNDER the wooden canopy??
    (looks like a standard wooden canopy to me...any photos of what's beneath it if there is anything)?

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

and how does the filter sit on the tank? I don't see a "lip" on it where it would hang over the back rim of the tank which is standard for hob filters.

5. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

other than the canopy is there a lid/lids on the tank?

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yea, like glass canopy that sits within the tanks top frame?
    usually the wooden canopies are open in the back to allow for equipment (such as you hob filter).

7. buzz4520

from what i see and understand of this style of filter, it's adjustable and designed to fit on the lip of the tank, from either front to back or side to side.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'm a bit confused...the filter should sit on the back (lip/frame) and there should be enough clearance for the canopy to go back on (basically over the filter)...unless the back of the wooden canopy is closed like the front (then I could understand the problem of the filter not fitting).
    Does the filter not have an indentation that allows it to be placed over the tank ledge/lip/frame?

Ps. Really nice stand/canopy.

9. buzz4520

seeings as how you've got the wooden canopy, you may have to remove the glass lid to fit your filter and some how block off the back of the canopy just in case one of the fish decides to jump.

10. san_sam

This is not a HOB filter Dawn.. It is an upper filter... It will look like this when assembled.. I need to make it sit in the tank.. There is a little platform in the hood to keep the food and stuff thats all.. IS there a way I could fix a wooden frame here without cracking the wood? The wood seems very fragile..Can a platform be created in the place I have mentioned..
    Boyu_Upper_Filte_4b45dd525fb5e.jpg My idea.jpg

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

:cool: hey buzz, he could use some acrylic..drill pilot holes and use a door hinge that way it would swing open for filter maint. (would need to notch it for the filter of course)..that or the wal-mart needlepoint waffle like sheets (only fish that would possibly fit through them would be fry..but fry shouldn't jump out).

12. san_sam

The wooden canopy has a single lid... the glass has a normal finish...

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

in place of glass canopys get yourself a sheet of acrylic/lexan or light diffuser.
    Cut it to the size of your frame and then set your filter on top of it to measure for the "opening" that you'll need to cut for the filter. Once you cut the opening simply set your filter in it..if the fit's not tight enough you could always frame it with the stuff you put around an a/c so nothing get in (bascially a foam with a sticky side to attach it).

14. buzz4520

something like that could work.

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I don't think I'd muck with the wood on the canopy...looks pretty thin to me and might split/crack.
    can you add another piece of wood going across (like the 1 piece next to the square hole/opening)..that might work enabling you to put the filter between the 2 or something similar?

Even if you had to you could perman. mount a strap or two to the two pieces of wood to hold the filter "up" (gosh I hope that makes sense).
    THen you could use the square hole to put the plug out through the back.

16. buzz4520

where are you wanting to put the filter? on the back or on one of the ends?

17. san_sam

The right corner...

18. san_sam

Exactly what I was thinking.. :D But the problem is the filter is a little tall.. If you see the piece near the square block it is place a little atop.. Can i place the piece of wood along the area near the square hole instead of keeping it across.. ?

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd simply lower the filter still using the extra slat idea..you can lower it with the straps.
    as long as it's not completey under water..or even then you can simply keep your tank filled just a bit lower and that would solve even that issue.

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ps, even if it goes slightly above the square opening on the right wouldn't you still have enough clearance from the canopy? (canopy looks descently high to me)?