1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

I want to know about co2

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Leslie, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

I want to know about co2
    What is it? :confused: I know it helps plants grow. I would really like to try it to get my plants to grow. please someone inform me.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Co2 is carbon dioxide. With low light plants you really don't need it. Unless you do DIY co2 it's expensive and in your case it'd be a waste of money.

3. Leslie

not all the plants i have are low light. and i want to do it for my 30 gal long.

4. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

CO2 is carbon dioxide. It helps plant grow because they use it for food (like how trees turn co2 in oxegen)so it also oxgenises(dont no if thats a real word)your water for the fishes. Its not that complicated but very expensive and people who use it also uses ferts etc. i was about to get one but was to late ='[. I have a DIY one but i dont use because it lasts for like 1 week you have to turn off at night and run a air stone and cant run one during the day or else you will have ph swings so its a lot more work

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Are you planning on purchasing a new lighting fixture that will put out more than 3 watts per gallon ? If not then again co2 is not necessary. Co2 and lighting go hand and hand.

6. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

yup true 2

7. Leslie

i have to buy a new hood and everything for the 30

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

A standard hood only provides a single florescent bulb which will only produce about 1 watt per gallon.

9. Leslie

never mind. i dont have time for that.

10. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol im gonna get one some day i saw a hella good deal on one but the guy who was gonn abuy my fishes flaked i didnt have the $ and they sold even though i told them i will buy it no metter what :( :( :( :( :( :( :( i will hunt that guy down..... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

11. James0816

James0816 New Member

First off...don't be intimidated by it. It's really not that hard to do.

As you know, all plants need CO2 in some form or other to grow. It does not matter if you are running low light or not. However, as a general rule, any time you approach 2+ wpg, you should consider it. At 3+, you definately need it!

With that said, in a low light set up, you don't need it so to speak. But, the plants would definately benefit from it. Some would say to dose Flourish Excel as your carbon source. This would be fine except that it will melt sensitive plants like Vals.

In response to Seven, the only time you would have to turn off CO2 production would be if you are using a pressurized system. DIY CO2 doesn't produce enough to overdose your tank. Unless of course you are using several bottles connected together on a small tank. ;)

Presurized systems do get costly. However, when you're dealing with larger tanks, DIY is simply not an option. They will also pay off in the long run as they will last a lot longer. Just a bigger layout up front.

DIY is all inexpensive to establish. More than likely you already have most of the requirements at home.

I'll be glad to assist you further if you want more info.

:cool:

12. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol i dont know why ph went crazy it droped to 5.5...

13. James0816

James0816 New Member

Co2 will affect PH. This is also where you need to check your GH and KH. You may have to look at adding a booster.

There are several ways you can boost your GH.

I use crushed coral. This helps buffer your PH. I have well water and the PH is extremely low out of the tap. I have (1) cup of cc in every jug I use.

Another method is Baking Soda. I don't particularily like this method.

Also, the place where I buy my ferts from sells a GH booster mix.

14. Leslie

I think i may forget to do anything to it. i want to turn my 5 gal into a shrimp tank. and move all the other fish to the 30 gal. and some plants once i trim agian.