1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

ICH and Help!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Anonymous, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hi Guys

Brand new.. writing from Canada. Site was referred to me - Im looking for some help. Im going to make this as brief as possible:

pH 8.2
    Ammonia Level 0
    Nitrite Level 5
    Nitrate Level 0
    Salinity Level (Specific Gravity) 1.24
    Water Temperature 79
    Tank Size 180 G
    How Often You Do Water Changes And What Percent You Change 15% bi weekly
    Date Of Last Water Change Feb. 1, 2009
    How Long The Tank Has Been Running 1.5 months

So, here it goes. Had a 90 G and everything perfect. Moved to 180 first of Jan -a nd brought everything over, all fish, corals, inverts etc. Bought a Powder Blue last Thursday Night (Feb 5) - didn't QT - looked amazing - i know, my bad.

Sat morning PB broke out in ich. Like more then 200 spots. I got KICH ICH on Sunday - a day after and started treating with heavy dose. I have turned the skimmer off since Sunday. The PB has over 200 spots each day. Morning and Night looks horrible; totally covered; and throughout the day all the little white spots seem to go away and leave milky like dots on her.

I have always; and have been feeding Selcon and Garlic at each feed - they eat a variety of quality food. PB eats all Algae pieces, all mysis and all Fauna marine pellets. She has always had a strong appetite. She is swimming totally normal, picks off rocks; has found her hiding spot and is starting to defend it to the gobys!

I've read hours on hours of this stuff this week. I Have no idea what to do. I have bought a rubbermaid and all stuff for a hospital tank and have no problem puting her in hypo. BUT if ich is in my tank - then when I put her back in the display in 6 weeks; she is going to get it again.

Throughout the week, my hippo, royal gramma and coral beauty have all shown spots - no more then 10 - and the disappeared today. However, the PB is still totally coated. She doesn't appear stressed in any way but I do not want to kill her.

Would you take her out of the big tank, with all the rock and hiding spots and keep her in hypo for 6 weeks to put her back in and maybe catch it again? Would you take all fish out for 6 weeks knowing its going to be hard to have good water levels in small rubbermaid tanks. Would you take your chances and see if after day 5 of the treatment that KICK ICH will work? Would you double the dose? With my Sum, I have over 200 gallons so I am treating for 200 gallons.

Or, do I leave the PB continue with good garlic and food and see where it goes. As Im on day 6 - almost done day 6 - does this mean that Im playing with fire?

Im willing to do anything. I want to save this beautiful fish; and the rest of my tank!

Thanks guys in advance for your help. Much appreciated :)

Broke out

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

First of all welcome to The Exotic Fish.

Do you have your Nitrite and Nitrate levels confused ?

Since you've used the Kick Ich on Sunday I assume you are following the directions. If so you should have only done one dose so far, correct ?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yes, they are swaped your right. Levels are good. No issue there.

I started Sunday, and have been doing the heavy dose. I did one dose - 16 ounces on Sunday, another 16 ounces on day 3 - Tues and another 16 onz on Thurs. I have to do another dose on day 7 - Sat.. then it goes until day 10.

Thanks for the welcome!

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What you might want to do is pull the tang out and give him a freshwater bath. Do you know how to do that ? After you do that place him back in the main tank.

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Welcome.... sorry you had to join under these terms :confused:

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks! Appreciate it :)

Im hoping that I'll be able to get some help to get out of these terms.

I've been reading freshwater baths - same ph - same temp - ro water - no more then 15 min remove quickly if signs of stress? And,do you acclimate the fish for this? Or just a quick swim?

I could do that tomorrow for sure - may shake some off of her?

Would you recommend removing all fish and hypo for 6 weeks or do you beleive this will add more stress? And, will the ich go away for that time?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep just make sure the water is the same pH/temp. You can do more than 15 minutes if the fish is not showing signs of stress. You do not need to acclimate him. I've had several fish that when receiving them were able to do 30 minute dips. The dip should/will basically cause the ich cysts to explode. When he's done in the bath make sure not to put that water back into the tank. If you look in the water and on the bottom of what ever you dip him in you should see a lot of things floating around, that's the ich cysts.

If the other fish are still showing signs of ich I would also dip them.

Continue to use Kick Ich for the directed amount of time.

I wouldn't worry about hyposalinity until you do all of the above first. If that doesn't work then you can do that or if all that fails treat them with a normal ich med in a QT tank. While the fish are in QT any ich in the main tank will die without a host.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

So how's the treatment going ?

9. luckylouse

luckylouse New Member

Ya... What the word?

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

how is your condition with the tank progressing, is it getting better?