1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Ich / Ick Ich on guppies

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Cynthia, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Cynthia

Cynthia Thread Starter Member

yes. The newst arrivals to my tank have ick, I don't know why though I called the store (which said if they die they'll replace them which doesn't help much cause I saw all their guppies covered in ick mine are the healthiest)

I'm out of PH and other tests to get direct results but the tanks set up the same as my betta's, And she doesn't have this or anything wrong with her. I added some decor, fake plants mostly incase the females ever drop fry, some ghost shrimp and a replacement filter since the other one broke I think I caught it early, theres some white on one of the female guppie's upper lip and some spots on another one they won't have any treatments instock until next thursday I used all mine up already Should I just add some table spoons of salt desovled in treated water?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

why not simply raise the water temperature (slowly of course)?
    ich stops reproducing at 86F and dies at 89F

If you do this method be sure to add extra air (air-stone/air-wand) because warmer water has less oxygen.

3. Cynthia

the heater I ordered for my tank isn't here honestly I don't know when it will be, and the ones my LFS sells are the ones I heard that malfuntion and cook your fish water tempature where I live out side right now is 76 degrees so it's fine for the fish right now

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Without any kind of ich meds and if you're not able to raise the temp there's not much you can do... You can try adding some aquarium salt.

5. Cynthia

Actually...thinking back a friend of mine has a heater she's not using anymore since she left the fish business for something more manageable (geckos) perhaps I'll ask her for her old heater and stick that in

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Good idea !

7. Cynthia

Well Aileen said she'd look for her heater and bring it too me, anyway the fish that had ich all died over the night so it didn't matter anyway. Leaving me with one male guppy and two female guppies, none of them have ich spots on them and are all fairly active

8. Lynden10

Lynden10 New Member

Thank you for taking time and being concerned and answering everyones questions. I have three fancy guppies 1 male and two females,an algae eater and an albino frog. Three weeks ago I had two of my females die. There was no signs of ick and I do at least a 25% water change once a week and check my waters ph and ammonia often. I checked my ph and it was 7 alkaline which is normal for guppies and no ammonia was present.My temperature usually stays at 72 and my temerature was normal. After checking this I did about a 40% water change. Within the next couple of days I noticed white spots on my males back fin. Immediately I started treating for ich. I removed my Albino frog for scaleless species have a low tolerance for ick treatment but I have been treating him as directed. I first used ick away by Wardley Watercare. Everyday I have been doing a 25% water change with a gravel vaccum. Signs only worsened. Frightened I went out and got Quick Cure from Aquarium Products which has formalin and malachite green as its ingredients,it is also supposed to cure ick in 2 days. It has been the 8th day treating with the Quick Cure an altogether a total of 15 days trying to cure ich and parasites. They have livened up a good bit and my male is trying to breed, but they seem to tire quickly and stay in a huddle either in the top corner or on the bottom. Spots are still noticable on the fins and somewhat on the body. The females fins look kind of torn and rugged not extremely but enough to catch my attention. I've read in your "past answered questions" that some spots can be wounds thats not healed yet but how can I tell for sure? Does ich fall off or disappear comepletely off the fish before you can say they are cured? I came home tonight and did my usual rutine (my water change) and I noticed a baby guppy. I suddenly grabbed my old betta vase (1 gal.) and rinsed it out put fresh water in it added a tiny bit of Start Right from Jungle put an areorator in waited fifteen minutes to get the temperature the same as my fish tank, got the baby and the mother and put them in the betta vase. I watched her for at least two hours after her last baby, she hadn't had any more and I have about 10 babies so I moved her from my betta vase and placed her back into my tank. I crushed up some tropical flake food real fine and put in for the babies. I know your not supposed to use ich treatment on fry so I moved the mother and baby into the aereorated vase waited for her to deliever and removed her from the betta vase ASAP. Was that right? Is there any thing I should do to help prevent an outbreak of ich in my fry since the mother may have inroduced ick into their water. How often should I do a water change in the vase since they're babies. I know that I cant keep them in my betta vase for long because its only 1 gallon and I have no room for another tank so I am hoping like heck you can help me. I am also aware that you treat your tank at least 2-3 days after signs of ich disappear and they should be quarantined for a month but would it be okay after the third day of treating without any signs of ich ( if I ever get them treated) do a 100% cleaning of the tank and add my fry in with them.? I am so worried and confused this is my first batch of babies and its at an awful time because of the ich. Help Please...And thank you ever so much for your time....