1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

ID on some live rock hitchhikers?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by NoctuVide, Jan 4, 2009.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

Ok, I got some pics of a couple of the hitchhikers I've found so far on the live rock in my new tank. If anyone has any idea as to what these are, being that I'm totally new to saltwater, that would be great. I have a shot of some redish purpleish colored stuff on the top of one rock, two shots of an anemone that might be an aiptasia, and a pic of some form of sponge I think.

IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0009.JPG

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep 1 & 2 need to go. 3 looks like algae. I have something very similar to 4 on one of my rocks, not exactly sure what it is. Mine hasn't grown in the 3 months I've had it.

3. NoctuVide

Ok, so I'll have to get some anemone killer. I've counted about three so far...and then when I get more live rock on Friday, I'll have to see how many more I'll end up with. As for the algae, is that a good kind or a bad kind? As for the other thing, I think it's a pineapple sponge, or some other type of sponge. It'll be interesting to see what else develops from the live rock and live sand.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The algae is fine, it won't harm anything. And it's pretty. :p

5. NoctuVide

Yea, that's what I thought too! I was hoping I wasn't going to have to get rid of it as well lol

6. NoctuVide

Ok, got a couple more for ya! On the piece of new rock that completely covered in coralline, I noticed in one of the pits a group of these tiny tube worm looking things. Is that what they are or are they a form of coral? The other pic is that algae I have on one of the first pieces I got. I don't think it's algae. It has little spikey looking things and little tube things that seem to change. any ideas?
    pink thing.jpg tubeworms.jpg