1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Identify this Plant?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by LadyFaire, May 6, 2010.

1. LadyFaire

LadyFaire Thread Starter New Member

I have a plant that has been in my aquarium for well over 10 years. I am asked all the time what the plant is, and where to buy one. I don't remember the name, if indeed, I ever knew it. It is an extremely tall and graceful plant, with long slender leaves that start at the base with no 'stem' area. After over 10 years, it has FINALLY put out a baby! I've put a red arrow showing the baby plant. If anyone can identify this plant, I'd be thrilled.
    PICT0789-a.JPG PICT0786-a.JPG

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Plants are not my thing. I have a hard enough time remembering the names of the few I keep.

It looks like it may be a corkscrew val to me, but you might want to wait and see what others say. LoL

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Cryptocoryne spiralis?
    with the width and height possibly a val?
    (don't think I ever saw one that spiraled like that)?

4. LadyFaire

OK, I know it isn't a corkscrew Val - I actually have some of those in a different area of the tank. Also, this plant is over 2 foot long. Not all of the leaves corkscrew, but they DO all curl around, and they 'flow' nicely with the currents in the tank.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

LoL Well, I'm pretty sure it's a val of some kind.

6. LadyFaire

I purchased it through eBay along with my coffee folia (sp?) and java fern and wisteria. This is the only plant I have that hasn't reproduced massively. As I said, it finally produced an offspring after over 10 yrs. I actually was shocked when I saw it. I had just cleared out a huge batch of plants and saw it in one of the clear spaces created by thinning out the wisteria and java fern.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if you bought it from ebay you should be able to pull up past purchases (can maybe find out that way)?

8. LadyFaire

I don't think I could pull it up, as it was over 10 years ago, and I'm fairly sure that they remove the link to the product, and they even remove the 'title' of the listing after 90 days, so all you see is the listing number. Wish I could though, that would make it much easier.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I still go with either a Cryptocoryne spiralis or something in the val family.

10. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Judging by the width at the bottom I would say onion plant, crinum thaianum.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Ya, but onions don't get the wrinkled leaves and she would have a bulb at the bottom.

Re-looking at the picture I take my earlier guesses back...I say Balansae- Cryptocoryne crispatula.
    It has the wrinkled texture look to the leaves and would explain the length/height since they can get up to 24" and the "baby plant" runner.

balansae.jpg

12. LadyFaire

That's it!! Is there a common name for the plant?

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

balasane

14. LadyFaire

Thank you SO much! Now I can tell people who ask about it.

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

no problem :)