1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

ID'in a fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by manta975, May 20, 2011.

1. manta975

manta975 Thread Starter New Member

i hate to post so many questions but i am so confused about trying to find out what exactly this fish is.i bought it under the name "checkerboard sand loach" but that looks nothing like the results i get it is a long type fish. mine are tan with faint stripes in random patters like a finger print. they have 6 little whiskers white bellies. mine dont burrow in the sand they have 3 ses of lowwer fins and a dorsal fin on the tail end. only about one and a half inches long and they are quite active and very aggressive eaters (they go crazy when i feed them. mostly stay on the bottom of the tank.

i will put up a picture soon

i have tried looking on a big loach sight and found nothing, the closest thing i found was a rare fish but it had more defined stripes than mine.

2. manta975

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

No worries on asking questions, that's what we're here for (to help).
    Can't get a good look at the head, but the pattern that I can see clearly towards the end of the tail looks to be the pattern of the zipper loach.
    ai51.tinypic.com_2h3u9z8.jpg
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/20 ... a_7c208029

4. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

i couldn't get a pic to upload, but look up mongoose loach (nemacheilus rueppelli) and see if it's not close to the one that you have.

5. manta975

i would say it looks closes to the mongoose loach that you said but the head isnt as elongated as that one is.as for the zipper loach i would say no there patter isnt as clearly difined as this one

heres a picture of the hea of them

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. manta975

7. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

Loaches are imported under so many different names it's hard to keep them straight.
    Did he come from a local LFS or ordered online?

8. manta975

it is a small chain store called jacks aquariums he has maybe 15 stores so its kind of big.

9. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

I'm familiar with Jacks, several within an hour drive from me.
    I believe your loach is Nemachelius platiceps imported from Vietnam or Cambodia in large volumes and distributed throughout the US and Canada.
    Nice fish, easy to keep, and reasonably hardy and tolerant to most water conditions.

Just my 2cents

10. manta975

NICE! this looks just like mine. i dont know why i didn't find it i have looked a website that has like archived tones of loaches and i looked it up by the name and it is on there i just didn't find it earlier. thanks congrats