1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

incorrect information regarding aquarium salt given through

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anthony, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

Gr @ Incorrect Information
    Saw a post on CL earlier with someone suggesting you ALWAYS keep salt in freshwater tanks, no matter what. Someone replied with no, you do not always keep it in your tank and some other things. Another person (could have been the first persona again) replies with an article from 1996 stating you should add aquarium salt to every freshwater tank.

Now I can imagine how many people saw this before it was flagged off and are now running to the store to get salt to put in their tanks because they think it needs it. :oops:

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Hurry to salt the freshwater fish! You have had them for 4 years without salt doing fine, lets change what has worked and wipe out the tank! Good call! :)

Fools!

Sorry, that is mean of me :roll: No I am being the a$! :) Not meaning to be though!

3. Anthony

Things have changed A LOT in the past 13 years as far as fish keeping goes.

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

True, things are learned almost everyday and some go against what was thought before.... kind of like eating eggs doctors first said they were good, everyone ate them... cholesterol went up, they blamed it on eggs, now they say eggs are GREAT for you.... tons of other examples

So yeah, at one point salt was good, now its bad, maybe in 5 years it will be good again :)

I still think it is a medicine myself and not a supplement.

5. Anthony

Agreed. I have only ever added salt to my tank as a medicine. If you need an additive get some trace elements.