1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

introducing new fish to tank

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by stephaniebray, Dec 23, 2009.

1. stephaniebray

stephaniebray Thread Starter New Member

hello, i have a 55 gal african tank and wanted to add some more fish...they are anywhere from 3-5 inches. If i add a few smaller ones 1-2 inches, will the bigger ones bully or eat the smaller fish? I havent purchased a new fish in months and was thinking about it.

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

when i added smaller fish to my african tank, i did a water change and moved the decor around some turned the lights out and covered the tank with a couple of towels added the new fish. left them in the darkness for several hours. imo this confusses the older fish and when you do remove the towels and turn the lights back on they( older fish) are more concerned with what happened with the darkness and tank change up. i noticed with my fish by doing it this way there was less bullying going on. if i were to just acclimate the fish and add them to the tank my socolofi (dominant male & tank boss) would just go "nuts" and go after the new fish, by doing it how i described above he's more into finding his log cave and not pay too much attention to the new fish.

3. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

thats a pretty good idea

4. OJHAMCMCO

OJHAMCMCO New Member

I have a issue with getting mbuna that I don't have yet, my tank boss is a huge labidochromis cheruleus (electric yellow) any way I have all sizes in my tank and there are little scuffs all the time but never a death the above article will work!! I have recently switched to playsand and flat bricks stacked so that it's like an appartment building and at night they all have a cave to sleep in!!