1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

is a Penn Plax Hang-On Aquarium Power Filter 300 overkill?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by ontheairship, Nov 21, 2009.

1. ontheairship

ontheairship Thread Starter New Member

I have a cubed 34 gallon that I was hoping to set up one day and I got this filter from a friend. Is it overkill? It is rated for up to 100 gallons

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Overkill isn't a bad thing, actually I always go over the gph.
    Your only worries are 1) if the filtration is so strong it blows your fish literally and they can't handle it
    2) the suction from the intake is so strong that when a fish swims by it gets pulled onto the strainer
    Either way most of the time you can get by with an easy fix (pre-filter)...something as simple as a spong zip tied around the intake.

For saltwater I removed the hob because of the micro bubbles that it caused...If I were you I'd go sump all the way.
    If you can't then I'd do a bunch of live rock and some powerheads strategically placed to make sure there were no "dead-spots" and save the hob for a freshwater setup.

3. ontheairship

ontheairship Thread Starter New Member

my tank is all tempered glass and im a big believer that if you use a sump go big and drill the tank or dont bother. This isn't something that im planning on setting up anytime soon but it the filter that i have set aside for that tank so I was just wondering if I should keep it or toss it. Thanks for the advice. I would definitely mod it if I used it now that you mention the suction and flow