1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

is it healthy for your betta to flare? betta products?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by MOD_Dawn, Jan 4, 2010.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Okay, maybe I'm misinformed...but I thought the male betta's hated to see there reflection and that they would think it was another male (hence the "fighting" betta)?

I remember when I was a little girl and I got my first one the lfs rep said not to put him anywhere where he could see his reflection..which mean foil/mirror backgrounds were out of the question. I recall him telling me the fish could "blow itself up" literally if the reflection was left in place...maybe this was kid scare tactics..but being I can't sleep I came across an ad in the tropical fish hobbyist magazine which is advertising a small mirror suspended with a floating ball.

The floating betta exercise mirror is manufactured by Zoo Med and the ad reads:
    When your Betta sees his reflection he will "exercise" his fins.
    Watch your Betta perform natural behaviors.
    Patent pending- exclusive Zoo Med Item

[scratch] is this healthy for the betta...or will it cause it to literally explode?
    http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/S...ucts&Heading=Aquarium&Search.x=24&Search.y=20
    --------------------------------------------------
    They (zoo med) are also advertising a Floating Betta Log which reads:
    A natural looking floating log for your pet Betta to sleep, play, breed, feed or blow a bubble nest in.
    Comes with a top "feeding hole"
    Make your betta happy! Helps relieve boredom from captivity.
    Patent pending- exclusive Zoo Med Item
    -----------------------------------------------------
    And last, but not least a Betta Bed Leaf Hammock which reads:
    A natural leaf hammock for your Betta to rest on.
    Allows your Betta to rest near the surface of the water just like they do in nature.
    Train your betta to go on the leaf at feeding time!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Zoo Med Laboratories, INC.
    3650 Sacramento Dr.
    San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
    Phone: 805-542-9988
    email: zoomed@zoomed.com
    http://www.zoomed.com

2. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Its ok as a stimulus to the fish but not constantly.

I jsut steal the wifes make up mirrors from her purse to exercise the betta.

3. magicduk

magicduk New Member

It wouldn't hurt its self I have had my betta for a while now she flares alot but she doesn't hurt herself