1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Fungus / Cotton Is this Fungus?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by jrow8162, Feb 11, 2010.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

What was stated by him was accurate...

I NEED to post a few links to another forum!!!! Dawn, for this ONE time will you PLEASE allow the links to exist??? I in NO WAY am trying to promote another forum but I know of 2 threads on that forum that DIRECTLY relate to this and in NO WAY can be transferred to our forum!

In a nutshell, on the other board, there was a purchase of Asian Discus from a seller known as Fish King USA. It is an Asian company that imports their stock from Asia to the US on the west coast. The USA branch recently went out of business (I think according to the threads)

What happened is they shipped fish without quarantine to the customers. 1 person stands out as SEVERELY impacted from his shipment of like 6 fish. He DID properly quarantine and this virus went airborne wiping out ALL of his discus. He lost like 80 Discus from these 6 sick fish. His were mostly Grade B and Grade A Albinos with a few Grade AA and a show grade pair of breeders!

He was one of about a dozen that was affected from this shipment on this forum alone.... there were others but in a nutshell EVERYONE lost almost EVERY fish even if they were not in other tanks.

I bring this up because of the statement from Schoolzoffish regarding these discus being Asians... I dont know who his distributor is but IF by chance it is these people that is NO GOOD! They have had ongoing customer service issues as well as not sending healthy fish even after this outbreak wiped out everyones tanks...

The guy that lost all 80 of his fish wanted them to give him money to replace the thousands of dollars that he lost... OR for them to buy fish to reimburse the loss from another reputable seller (Hans Discus). They did neither, instead they offered to send him more fish (12 I think) that they promised would be AA grade but when he got them they were not shaped well, also look sick and were not packaged properly... He lost all of them too, this time though he kept them in another area AWAY from his stock he was working on rebuilding (Hans gave him some out of the kindness of his heart)

This thread on the site was gut wrenching! He posted photos of the fish from what they looked like in the tank sick to the post mortem photos... Most of these were for proof of the fish he lost in case he wishes to press charges..

Also he posted email correspondence from the seller.... and to be honest, what you received sounds like something they would say...

Again this IS a reputable forum, and I would not post a link if I did not think the forum was not... I think though for this case the link is VERY important...

2. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

So am I gonna have to clear out the whole tank and disinfect it? Like I said, I still have one fish left from a different order that looks fine. I definitely dont want to go through this again with any of my new fish. Let me know what the best route to take is and thats what I will do. I have a 20 gallon hospital tank I can move the fish to.

3. LemonDiscus

Move that one to the hospital tank... clean and disinfect the one thats there... treat the one thats left... throw away any filter media or anything else you cant clean in the display tank...

4. jrow8162

What would you clean it with?

5. LemonDiscus

Read the PM I sent... There are LOTS of things in there... Its what happened and what was done to treat as well as some more morbid posts...

6. jrow8162

Man, that is horrible! I sent an e-mail asking where my fish came from. I also warned him about what happened to those other guys. I'm gonna wait for a reply before I go tearing my tank down. If that is the supplier he bought the fish from I may end up taking all of my tanks in my living room down and disinfecting them.

7. LemonDiscus

You did the right thing!

I told you that was a horrible story... probably took 30 minutes to read that first thread and about 10 for the second one... lol

Yeah, usually the Asian varieties come in from the west coast... the wilds and the german discus come in on our east coast...

You see now why I just had to send you to the thread to read it... there is NO WAY I can even begin to summarize that event... too much happened and to see the photos takes on a whole new reality to it!

8. jrow8162

No kidding! I noticed the red spots on the fish. I didn't have any of that on my fish but it did start with the slime coat falling off of the fish. The labored breathing and hanging at the top of the tank also. Man, I hope that's not what happened with mine. The equipment I keep in this tank was expensive. I've had it going for years too so it would suck to have to start all over again!

9. LemonDiscus

The one guy "BOBTOOLS" used the same stuff... he only had to throw away his filter cartridges, the sponges on his sponge filters, airline tubing and a few other small things... the tank, filters, heaters and anything else were just disinfected...

I hope thats not the supplier trying to get business back elsewhere... I would assume its not but still...

That thread was an awakening for me! Also did you read the Fishking response about everything? That is why the response you got sparked my eye! They sound ALMOST THE SAME!!

10. jrow8162

That response I sent was just some literature I received from Skoolz... The actual e-mail response was as follows...

Jamie,
    > I got word from the other people I sold to that these
    > discus were getting
    > sick.  Even the ones I have are dropping dead. 
    > Obviously it was a bad
    > batch.  I will replace all four of your discus for
    > free as soon as I get
    > some quality discus in.  The supplier sells very good
    > quality fish but I'm
    > starting to second guess getting discus from them
    > anymore. 
    >
    > It sucks because I don't like losing fish but to have fish
    > that people
    > bought from me makes my business look bad.  I will be
    > going on a strict
    > quarentine timeline from now on with discus to make sure I
    > don't pass bad
    > fish to the customer.
    >
    > I don't blame you for inquiring about the fish often. 
    > You took a big chance
    > buying discus from me and I'm sorry they didn't turn out
    > good.  I do however
    > stand behind my product, even if it means losing money
    > because I started the
    > business on premise of doing business the right way. 
    >
    >
    > I've talked to my supplier and will will order some more
    > better quality fish
    > soon.  If there is anything I can do by all means ask
    > and I will help out
    > the best I can.  If you want your money back, I will
    > oblige to that also.

11. jrow8162

I just received this one...

Hey Jamie,
    No, I didn't directly get the discus from them but I don't know where these fish came from exactly. I did lose some discus of mine however. I've been quarentining my whole tank since all the discus were affected and are still sick. None of my customers are upset except for one that lost some of her discus. I think it may have been a bad shipment that came into the US that went to many suppliers. I still trust my supplier, I'll just wait a while before I get discus from this one again, or at least wait a week from when they get their shipment in to let them quarentine them first.

I've been quarentining my whole tank since all the discus were affected and are still sick. I appreciate your commitment and I will be sure to get you hooked up with better fish. I am about to head out of town for V-day but will know what I am getting for my order tomorrow. I have another supplier that has discus that were there last week and they've come down on price a lil bit.

I will keep you posted.

12. LemonDiscus

His response sounds really good... I hope he stands behind it himself! At the end of the day, like was said in that thread about Fishking, things happen especially when dealing with live animals and what matters is how the person you bought them from handles it....

Replacement is fair...

13. jrow8162

Yep, I think so. So now to the real question... Do I take my tank down and bleach everything or just finish out the treatment i've been running? My fish is very healthy from what I can see. It even eats out of my hand. No signs of anything on the fish and no foul smell coming out of the water. Even with that, I don't want to keep it up if its anything like what I saw with the Fishking fish...

14. LemonDiscus

I dont know... That is going to be your judgment call... I cant say I would break down... I cant say I would keep it up and going... It all depends on what I feel is right at the moment and what I had the energy to do..

15. jrow8162

I'm gonna give it a few days. I have one more treatment with the Maracyn. I'm gonna go ahead and replace all of my filter media. Even though I just replaced it. Then monitor the fish. No since in putting it in the hospital tank when its the only fish left in this tank.

16. LemonDiscus

Sounds like a good idea!

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

1) as for posting links to other forums...Sorry, but you can't (that's Anthony's rule and he's the forum owner, so what he says goes obviously).

2) as for disinfecting...Diluted Bleach soak and anything that can't be (as Ryan told ya with the media)- TOSS!
    <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1466" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1466</a>

18. jrow8162

Thanks for the info Ryan! I will post pics of the new Discus once they are in...

19. jrow8162

I'm supposed to get 2 of my replacement Discus on Sunday. I would rather have all 4 at once. I guess he's replacing as many as he can with this shipment. I'm not the only customer that lost Discus from the last one. He said they are Red Discus and they look better than the last ones. He's had them for a week now. Wanted to hold these before he let them go. I hope these work out better. I hate that i'm only getting two this week. I asked that they come from the same tank to avoid any issues with aggression.

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'm amazed your giving it a 2nd go with him...I'd be soOoo scared!
    Definitely let us know how things turn out...I'm waiting to hear from my lfs to find out about the 3 out of 9 that are in my tank which are just small. 2 I definitely believe are "runts"...the 3rd I'm still not sure.
    However I am thankful that I didn't experience what you have with yours...I'd be fuming hot mad!