1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Ich / Ick itchy fish

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by kwheeler91, Jul 7, 2009.

1. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 Thread Starter New Member

some of my fish had ich and i was treating with salt. the ich is gone and i have continued to use the salt and some of the fish that didnt have ich have been rubbing on plants and gravel. i dont see any ich on them. can salt itself cause them to itch?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Not that I've seen or heard of. Ich can still be present even though it's not visible. Were you just treating the ich with salt ?

3. kwheeler91

that and i had the temp at about 82 for about 2 weeks i think it was and that fish never showed any signs of it(scarlet badis). maybe he just had an itch idk :) i suppose fishes get itches too sometimes

4. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

what was/is dosage of salt and how long ? did you also raise tank temp to 86*?
    if it's been a few days since you've seen any signs of ick you could do a partial water change to dilute the salt content. i'm no expert on this, it's been about 18 yrs since i had to deal with ick and i just treated by raising them temp to 86* for about a week.

5. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Ick isnt always visible, Anthony has a great piece of information on the forum wich can be found here

-> <a class="postlink-local" href="http://theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=30&t=973</a>

I think you'll find some answers there

6. kwheeler91

it has been a while since i saw any ich and i never saw it on any fish besides the boraras. ill decrease the salinity which was only 1 tbs/5gal and observe. i only saw the badis do it one time but am being caution since i had uch in the tank

7. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

ich might still be there keep adding salt until fish are normally behaving and looking