1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Jack Dempsey beat up, covered in "mold" on soars

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Anonymous, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Recently one of my two jack dempseys got beat up by a new addition to our tank and it wasnt looking good. In an attempt to save him i threw him into my african cichlid tank which is pretty stable and has balanced aggressiveness. I dont think he got beat up worse in this tank but after a day or two this white mold or fuzz started growing off of his tail and on his other bodily soars. I just decided to put him down by putting him in a ziplock bag of tank water and put it in the freezer.

Does anyone have a theory of why the mold formed?

Does anyone have a better way to put down a goldfish aside from chopping off his head or smashing it
    IMG_0921.JPG

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Jack Dempsey Badly Beaten with Sores (Advice Wanted)

It was fungus and could have been prevented using Pimafix. You should use that in conjunction with Melafix to prevent bacterial infections.

I believe clove oil is used to put fish down as well.

The freezer thing seems cruel to me because he's out of water, struggling, until the cold sets in and slows down then stops his heart.

As horrible as it sounds (I could never do this) chopping off their head is the most "humane" way.

Sorry for your loss.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thank you for your input, do you use Pimafix and Melafix on a regular basis or only when fish are damaged.

I put him in a bag of tank water and then into the freezer

in the past how have you personally dealt with putting down fish?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Only when needed but I ALWAYS keep it on hand for the occasional fin damage.

No, I've never had to do it. With my Cichlid tank I was very careful with what I added and when so I never had any aggression issues.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I put the fish in a pitcher and put it in the freezer the fish falls asleep long before it feels any pain imo.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Issue deemed fungus, fish has passed on to bluer waters.