1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Jack Dempsey

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by heatherine, Oct 4, 2010.

1. heatherine

heatherine Thread Starter Member

So after much research and debate, I chose to get a Jack Dempsey over an Oscar...not that the fish guy didn't try and sell me on the Oscar's personality, etc. I just think the Jack is beautiful, and the Oscar is pretty ugly. Anyway, I have only had community tanks in the past, and so now I have my Jack (currently about 1 1/2") in my 55 gal with my 8 inch Syndontis cat we call "the Godfather," a clown loach, and a gold nugget pleco. All fish are young except the cat, who is at least 8 years old.

My questions being - can I expect the Jack to "grow up" well with these other young fish? The clown is about a year old, and 3"...and the gold nugget pleco about 3" as well. And will the Syndontis and the Jack fight a lot when they are both big? My hope is that starting off with a small Jack (I had a choice between the fry and a mature, 8 inch specimen and took the little guy) will alleviate issues in the future between "the Godfather" and him.

I am prepared to set up another tank for the community fish if it doesn't work out. Any advice from experienced Jack owners is appreciated! :)

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, the JD should be fine with those few fish. He really shouldn't bother the cat much, especially since he's much bigger.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

2nd what Anthony said.
    Had a pair of Jacks before and they can get gorgeous (love the rainbowish iridescent look)...but absolutely HATE that they destroy the tank (they are poor decorators- trust me!).

4. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

i too will agree with anthony. we've got a jack dempsey along with 3 oscars and 2 common pleco's in the same tank and they all are doing really good with one another. i agree with dawn also on them as poor decorators, there's one seashell in the tank that no matter where i put it my jd won't like it and move it to his liking.

5. heatherine

Thanks all... I am really looking forward to watching him grow... he's already full of beans at only 1.5 inches long. I can't imagine his personality when he's full grown...and the fish-store guy was adamant that they are boring fish! [icon_question.gif] No worries about my tank decor. The Godfather is always pushing stuff around anyway....There are plenty of plastic plants, shells & pots for them to root around with.

6. Sal

Sal New Member

We caught some tiny wild Dempseys over the summer in a lake by shore weeds (netted them )

Allmost kept them but opted not to.

Do you plan to in time keep a pair?
    cichlids.JPG

7. heatherine

*sorry so late* Where did you catch those Jacks?

No I won't be breeding my Jack - I only have one, and I need a permit for him (I live in Maine, where JDs are illegal without a permit). Having had Jack for several months now, I realize how high maintenance he can be, and how easy it is for people to just get them without having researched them. I've had to change my whole fishkeeping model to suit him.

It's worth it though. I've never had a fish with so much personality. Jack is losing his baby colors and is a good 4 inches. My 12 year old looooves this guy. He rushes to the tank the minute he gets home to say "Hi" and "play" with Jack. He's already taught Jack how to beg ("I can has cricket?") and how to chase him from one side of the tank to the other. It really is cute to see this fish follow my son around like a hyper little puppy. The only time he hides is when he gets more in his mouth than he can handle - then he slips behind one of the back plants all sneaky-like so no one else can move in on his catch.

8. Sal

Sal New Member

Hi
    I caught several by south Miami by a lake located by a friends house. He actually kept one which lives in his yards pond and is absolutely huge.

I actually set up a 55 gallon tank couple months ago as had hoped to catch more this summer but after seeing his last month opted not to. I will post pic of him this Summer when he nets the fish to clean pond.

Just to big and to destructive (as everyone here posted).

Either way we catch neat exotics there . Most types have been there over 30 yrs according to his neighbor.

I am surprised you would need a permit in Maine for any cichlid esp with the cold winters.

9. heatherine

I know, right? so stupid. AS IF I would turn him loose in a stream somewhere, and AS IF he would survive past October! :rolleyes:

10. Sal

Sal New Member

Yes it makes no sense considering the winters there.