1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Java Fern requirements?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Java Fern
    Does java fern need special things to have it live?I have bamboo thats been in my tank for a month now.I have a alright light on my tank.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Java fern is very easy to grow. It's a low light plant and usually does fine with normal florescent lights.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

yeah im gonna buy me some
    :D :D :D

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

make sure you dont plant the rhizome on the java fern, that will cause it to die. The rhizome looks like one huge root with little roots comming off of it (you will see) and it needs to be at least halfway above the gravel surface.

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Java Fern is way too easy to grow. Lets put it this way, I had my Discus in my 55 gallon tank a while back ago. My Discus have always had the planted tank. About 4 months ago after 3 months of new plants something happened and almost every plant died :(

I had in the tank:
    5 Java Fern
    1 of the smaller bulb plants from Wal-Mart (I got a pack of Lilly bulbs and this stuff and this is all that grew)
    1 Amazon Sword
    I think it was Myrio or something like that
    And about 3 bundles of Anacharis.

Everything died but the Java Fern and that bulb. (Most of the stuff I think died because I used to keep my tank at 87 degrees.) Now that 5 pieces of Java Fern is about 35!

Just wait and this stuff grows like CRAZY. Like "uncwnells" said wait before planting the rhizome (plantlet from the leaves) until it has nice long roots and looks like it has a bit of size. I usually wait til the leaf it grew from starts to wilt and then break the leaf and plant. I do have sand so after my corys finish cleaning after a feeding most of the sand is removed from around the roots but there is enough under the sand to pin it down and keep it from getting sucked into my filter.

6. Shun

Shun New Member

Java fern is one of the easiest to low because of its low demand of lighting.
    I've got some in my tank as well :)