1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Just a little warning on "Betta Condo"... could help someone

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by justonemoretank, May 16, 2009.

1. justonemoretank

justonemoretank Thread Starter New Member

Hi all--
    The product I'm talking about is a rectangular clear plastic thing that only has five sides. It uses suction cups to attach to the side of a larger tank. They sound great because clean, filtered water passes through small holes, so the conditions are much better than most betta-death-traps. It comes with lots of dividers, but I can't imagine actually using them -- the resulting space is too small for any animal. I took the dividers out and used one to house my male betta while his five gallon was getting ready (he was just too pretty to pass up). During the time (about a month) that I was using the "Betta Condo," it began to stretch and warp, causing the lid that comes with it to fall inside of the condo. Had it fallen completely in, he would have drowned. Also, due to it stretching, other fish (a confused penguin tetra was the funniest) began to get trapped inside, and eventually, I found the betta swimming with everyone else! Luckily, it was time to move him anyway. However, these Betta Condos sound and look like a good idea, but they just don't hold up. I just thought this might help someone in the future. I hope I put this in the right place.
    betta condo.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

It is the right place ;)

I am adding a photo for you so people know exactly what you are talking about.

I believe the product being referred to is the Penn Plax Betta Condo which can be also viewed here--> http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=2001
    betta condo by Penn Plax.jpg

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've used this product in the past, I found it to get dirty quickly...be difficult to clean...and hard to keep in place because the suction cups would slide-or-not stick period!

I've always hated the gawdy looking mesh breeder nets...I like to be able to see my inhabitants clearly. I've found a way around this!

Dip & Pour Specimen Mod to convert into breeder or specimen quarantine that remains in the tank:

-->Using a large (or whatever size you want) Specimen container I drilled tiny holes into both the Right & Left Sides for circulation. They are transparent enabling a perfect view, sturdier, and easily hung inside the tank using the molded in Lip. If you're still worried about circulation an airstone can easily be ran into one--just drill an appropriate size hole in the bottom near the side...run your tubing inside & attach a tiny airstone!
    For easy cleaning make 2 of them, then when you want to get the yuckys out you can easily transfer the inhabitants by pouring them into the other one (without even needing a net)---for this reason I've found it's easier to use the Dip & Pour Specimen Containers.
    The containers I am referring to can be purchased through Kensfish linked here--> http://www.kensfish.com/shippingsupplie.html

Pros: Affordable, Transparent, Can place in existing tank

Cons: Can be difficult to drill & will crack if your not careful. I cover the area I'm drilling with duct tape on both sides to help prevent cracking and go VERY slowly.
    reg_dip_and_pour.jpg lrg_dip_and_pour.jpg

4. justonemoretank

That's a pretty good idea, Dawn. I would have thought more ahead if I'd been thinking more ahead... and not gotten the fish too early! In any case, I didn't plan on using it long-term, but those who did would be disappointed. Thanks for the photo -- I didn't even think of including one. As you can see, the size of each 'compartment' is about a playing card by half a playing card... just too small for anything. Thanks for the help.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

No problem, i hear ya on the impulse buys. Haha!
    Yea, the compartments were sickly small...when I used it I made it into 2 compartments using just 1 of the dividers. I had a pregnant female in the 1 side and used the other side for fry.

6. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

looks kind of cruel i understand they dont need much room but thats kind of pushing it i mean just look at it.... :(

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if you take the dividers out it's not as bad as it looks. With the dividers and it's definately cruel imo also.

My Wal-mart has a board that is similar to these that they keep bettas in...each compartments IS the same size as shown in the photo...poor fishys can barely turn around.

8. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

year but i dont blame wal-mart because they only keep it temeralrily till someone buys it

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I do, because they should intend on having them for a minimum of a few days...and as such be well aware that cramped living conditions lead to stress, and the stress can and will lead to illnesses.

10. justonemoretank

I agree with Dawn. The fact is, if you really take a look at the bettas in those little cups on the wall, the majority of them display signs of illness. Compound this with an ill-informed consumer who houses their betta with aesthetics in mind, in small, unfiltered, cold glass bowls and cubes, and the betta's days are numbered. If the fish were housed properly within the LFS, it would be a clue to buyers as to how the fish should be housed once the fish is purchased. As it stands, too many people assume that because the fish live in a cup at the store, it's just fine for them to live out their lives that way. In reality, some of those betta "tanks" cost more than it would cost to properly house the fish with a few-gallon tank, hob or sponge filter, and a little heater! The prices on them are insane. In any case, the whole situation is quite sad.