1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Koi & Gold Fish Losing Scales (?'s Regarding Cause & Care)

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by qwertus, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Koi and Gold Fish Problems

From the Ich Treatment thread...

2. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

Couldn't that much salt and that kind of temp in a golfish/koi tank be causing half the problems? I've kept a koi and a goldfish in a tank with just a filter, a bubbler, Room temp water, and no salt at all and never had any scale problems, or any other problems what so ever. Are the fish covered in what looks like salt or sugar crystals? If not, it's not ich, and you need to get that temp way down.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That was my point with the temp thing... I have no experience with salt and goldfish/koi that's why I wasn't suggesting that to begin with. I really feel the tank temp needs to be lowered, not raised. Then use an ich med, not salt, to treat the ich then see if there are still problems.

4. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

exactly, ich or no ich, that kind of temp is going to kill your fish anyways.

5. qwertus

qwertus Thread Starter New Member

They all are completely cured, scales grow back pretty quick and ich spots are gone. I havent seen them appearing again for a while now, just did a 50% water change today. I'll do another 50% in 4-5 days to get rid of the salt.

6. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i have the same situations before the "comets" are feeders so be surprised if they carried deases and koi and goldfish can live in a little heated but i wouldnt recommend 80 it would be better it it wasnt heated the scales they lose will be replaced so im not sure but mine all grew back after a mounth or so my guess their heding the not as nice/injured scales for new ones so dont worry to much about it

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

situation has resolved.