1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Lemon Discus: Discus Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Mar 2, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Re: Discus Videos

I keep saying he is! I am glad you all can see it now. He is actually upstairs in my 55 gallon tank.... I need to figure out what to do with him and the Angelfish that is in that tank now.

As for my Avitar Discus.... He will most likely go back to the 125 this weekend (especially if I start getting it ready for the Planted Altum tank) but as for that lone female Angel.... I will probably use her to keep the tank going.... I will post more on that under the 55 gallon tank thread.

2. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I think thats a great id. But what you'll do once its complete?

3. LemonDiscus

I have no clue what I will do with that 1 Angel.... Find it a new home maybe :confused:

4. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Might be best. But btw lemon thanks for your advice they both seem really happy now and kind of school together :)

5. LemonDiscus

Your welcome.... the funny thing about Angels is that they school up really well. It does not matter when you add them in, they are GREAT together...

Discus.... ehhh they are a bit trickier as you seen in the video to school.... they kind of like their own space.... even funnier they are considered schooling fish :)
    I would love to see that :roll:

6. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Well each time you post pics of new layouts they school really school together on the right side. Amd yep the angels love eachother :)

7. LemonDiscus

I would not call that "schooling".... In a school they look out for each other and are in the group for protection.... that side of the tank is just where they can easily beg for more food as my couch is more to that side :confused:

They dont care to swim together and spend most of the day fighting like you see in the video.... that truly is the behavior of that tank 98% of the time the lights are on!

8. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

True liek you said. I just caught my angels chasing eachother but that's all they do.. And every fish's dream is to get feed 24/7 at least thats what mine want :)

9. LemonDiscus

Wild Heckel Discus

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:07 pm
    Just got back and got them acclimated to the tank... most of them are still pretty shy but all look good. Not really showing stress bars much (the 2 thick black ones stay no matter what)

Only 2 when I came up to the tank would stay near the front... I have a total of 6 Heckels! They had 1 more than the guy told me!

The smallest is still a bit larger than the Mayan Jade which is the largest of my original 9
    Heckel1.jpg Heckel2.jpg

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Re: Wild Heckel Discus

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:11 pm
    nice fish lemon, you love those discus don't you.

11. LemonDiscus

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:15 pm
    Uhh huh! :cool:

I have wanted these Heckel Discus from the day I got hooked into Discus and learned about them! I have trained for the past 2 years to handle this SPECIFIC type of Discus!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:16 pm
    That nice that you where able to reach you goal man, are you going to try to breed them if the pair off?

13. LemonDiscus

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:19 pm
    If I am that lucky! That is a DREAM.... BUT these are almost impossible to breed! They are quite a challenge to even keep alive in captivity! Of all the Discus THESE Heckels are the pickiest Discus imaginable.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:25 pm
    Who knows, may be I'm talking to the person that can be the first to do it, I think if you try you may reach that DREAM.

15. LemonDiscus

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:26 pm
    I would be one of a few dozen to ever do it..... :confused: That is why it is a dream....

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:28 pm
    well I wish you the best of luck with them, seeing how it sound like they are the most expansive of the Discus.

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:08 pm
    pretty fishys! I bet they set ya back a pretty penny.

18. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:46 pm
    no quarintine? i learned my lesson tha hard way....

19. LemonDiscus

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:57 am
    You dont even want to know! I still got a GREAT price on them... here is a quick overview

Online Sellers - $150 per fish
    Animal Jungle - $59 per fish or $99 a pair
    This Sale - 25% off that and I got 3 pairs....

I know.... I know.... I have learned my lessons with it too... BUT My 55 gallon I was going to use for a quarantine has PH levels that were intolerable for the Heckels... and for that matter most of my other Discus

Update after a day.... ALL 6 are out front in the tank as of last night, color back, AND EVEN EATING!!! It took a few hours for them to feed but they did it at like 11pm last night right before my tank shut down for the night...

Also pecking orders have DRASTICALLY changed! The Mayan Jade is about 3 down now instead of the top fish... I am going to add the Marlboro Red that is in the 55 back to the main tank in a few days once I get all 6 Heckels settled fully into the tank.... I have a feeling that that Discus can NO MORE be the top and wont be a bully anymore....

20. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:27 am
    I had the same feeling that the newers would be the bullies from nw on! Great that you got them eating [dancing]!! I really like the looks of them :D