1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Lemon Discus: Discus Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Re: Wild Heckel Discus

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:18 pm
    Nope :) I think they were just scared since (if i did read good) they all eat now ^^

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:56 pm
    They all have eaten.... but not all are eating the manufactured foods.... They all eat live and frozen worms though so at least they do that.... About half are eating reluctantly the manufactured food

3. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:18 pm
    Still great half is doing and the're all eating :) Thats the worst part getting wilds to eat isnt it?

4. LemonDiscus

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 pm
    I think do :confused:

They are not used to being nurtured in an aquarium and are kind of set in what they grew up in..... The pet store said they had them eating Spectrum Discus Food.... But I dont have that! They will have to learn to like what I give them :)

But I do have the "treats" for them until they get used to it so they wont starve to death.....

Again, I find it SO WEIRD that they pick at the algae :confused: Discus ARE NOT algae eaters but I guess in the wild it is how they get some vegetation into them??

5. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:49 pm
    They ate algea? Wierd :eek: . I think your right about the vegetation thing but i'd watch it closely :eek:

6. LemonDiscus

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:28 pm
    I was shocked when I saw it... yes I saw about 3 of them eat at some strand algae that was on a few pieces of driftwood! I was like "Whaaaaaa???" :eek:

Technically, Discus are Omnivores so that does make some sense... Oh and BTW I have seen 1 eat a broken leaf that was small and floating in the water! Another strange thing! Tank raised Discus DONT DO THIS!!! These behaviors that I am seeing though are worth EVERY PENNY I paid for them :cool:

7. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:06 am
    Those wilds are really unique ^^

8. LemonDiscus

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:26 am
    From what I have read about wild fish it is not unusual for any of this.... keeping tank breds it is different though as they get their diet in a tablet :)

9. LemonDiscus

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:44 pm
    Well, 1 week in the tank and under CLOSE observation they are disease/parasite free! They all seem happy and healthy, no illnesses and my existing livestock seems just as healthy as normal!

It might be due to me pulling the tank temp up to 92 degrees shortly after adding them (just in case)

Either way everything is GREAT in the tank other than 1 fish that was a problem before (the blue turquoise). It seems thin and VERY stunted.... that I think is from before adding the fish as she would stay by herself behind one of the filter intakes all the time except when I fed.... She seems though to have her color back a bit and is interacting with the shoal some now which is pretty new! I still am a bit concerned but what happens, happens! Nothing I can do will fix the situation at the moment :confused:

10. LemonDiscus

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:39 pm
    Ok, I am bored and figured I would update how these guys are doing:

After a little more than a month now and I still have 1 that is a picky eater. That one still really only eats frozen bloodworms... I have seen it a few times pick at the Tetra Bits... usually not (those were days I starved the tank for a day or 2)

All of these guys are VERY healthy and socialized in the tank fully now. As mentioned earlier they still do some weird things like eating vegetation.

As for spawning/territorial behavior, I do have 1 that has broke away from all of the others and guards a piece of driftwood. This one will not let others near it. The area that it prefers is secluded and dark due to HEAVY overgrowth of plants... I dont know what its up to but I just did a 75% cold/cool (73ish degrees) water change in hopes to simulate the rainy season.... I still yet to see the results of that.... I just hope that did not shock my fish :eek:

11. LemonDiscus

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:35 pm
    A working project as you can see, I did a 10% water change with 100% cold water from the tap (Primed of course).

I did this and they seem to act funny... they actually seem happy to get cold water, no stress at all!

I think I will continue with water changes of varying amounts 2 times a week... whatever percentage I feel like doing :) I guess it does not matter at that frequency if it is 10% or 50%....

I am shocked when I PH tested my tank today, I did the 75% water change a few days ago (tap PH is 7) and my PH is below the 6.0 that my API test kit will do (not much, I guess around 5.8 - 5.5).... GO PEAT MOSS!!!! That was my only concern about the larger and more frequent water changes but does not seem like a problem....

12. fllszbrnc

fllszbrnc New Member

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:29 pm
    great looking fish.

13. LemonDiscus

Ok Here is the whole family of Discus as of 2 days ago... Sorry not all of the fish are as photogenic as others... some dont like to come near the front of the glass and I am having a few issues as I will note in the pictures with a few of my wilds...

Here we go
    MayanJade.jpg RedSunIndian.jpg RedSunLg.jpg RedSunMed-Lg.jpg RedSunSm.jpg Brown.jpg HeckelDarkHidingNotEatingMuch.jpg HeckelFinDamaged.jpg HeckelHITH.jpg HeckelLargePretty.jpg Marlboro.jpg

14. NoThing29

NoThing29 New Member

wow... Im very impressed and jealous of your discus you know...

well... you live up to your name :D
    love your discus and love the tank they are in... with all the tetras... are they neon tetras or cardinals?

15. LemonDiscus

Cardinals... I had 20 once upon a time.... a few nukes of peroxide and well 4 is all thats left.... I need to get more :confused:

Thanks BTW! ;)

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

pretty fishys...come to Dawn's tank! Lol!

17. LemonDiscus

:)

Your getting hooked (pardon the pun) on Discus arent you? :) I sense it wont be long and you will have been converted to the disky side!!!

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

nooo..staying on the community side, but probably gonna add them and see if it works (not going overboard).

19. LemonDiscus

ummm... you have to go overboard to do them... they stress REALLY bad in groups smaller than 6!

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

not going overboard..sorry.
    Might do 2 to see if they can adapt to my community..if they do okay then will add more (unless of course I talk to "the guy" and can score a good deal)..then I'd probably do 6 of them. Lol!