1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

LemonDiscus: 20 Gallon Discus Breeder

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Sep 16, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Yup in my eyes it is... 4 spawns all failed!

2. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I think you should just take up fancy goldfish, then I think everyone should keep fancy goldfish.

Rick

3. LemonDiscus

:) It would probably be easier!

Like you though I think everyone should take up discus... the pain they are and all!

4. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Not EZer just a whole new set of problem.
    At least with goldie you have a defined breeding season.

Rick

5. LemonDiscus

True... poor choice of words on my behalf! Each fish comes with a whole new set of problems! :)

6. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Will agree that Dicus come with more that their share of diffculties.

Rick

7. LemonDiscus

I moved the cone to the opposite end of the tank as the filter... they spawned again... this time on the best part of the cone for max fertilization... they spawned on the far end of the cone opposite the heater... so... I think this will be the most fertile... time to see if they still figure out what to do...

This is getting old.... :confused:

8. LemonDiscus

They ate the eggs after a WC yesterday..... I cant win with these stupid parents! [banghead]

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

pluck them! and tell them they are naughty...maybe try reading them a parenting magazine (dr. spock) Lol!
    Sorry, just had to.

10. LemonDiscus

I know right! :)

Hey at least you made light on this... it sure is heck driving me crazy if you cant tell... I counted 15 gray hairs this past month... :confused: And I thought it would be my kids that would do that... not the fish!

11. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lemon dont go to the dark side [argue] [banghead] [cussing]

12. LemonDiscus

I know right.... :)

These Discus are frustrating me though........ Im not a goldfish fan... to each their own and I LOVE Discus... but this is aggravating.... Im sure you understand to a degree although you have not seen all I have went through with these fish!

13. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Goldfish are such a peaceful hobby.
    I think you should get a few to try. I can send you a dozen or so, that should be a good number to start with.
    You can get more tanks as you need them.

Rick

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

what temp do you keep your goldys at Rick?

15. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

75 to 85 in the summer
    50 to 60 in the winter

Rick

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow, I always thought they had to have cooler water (like your winter temps year round).

Debating on changing things up down the road and wondering if the summer temps would be safe year round?

17. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

The outside summer temp are the one thing I can't control. My summer temps run 5 to 15 degrees lower that our Florida ambient temperatures.
    If you are not trying to breed fancy goldfish do best at 70 to 75 but can easily handle 85 degrees without problems
    If you are breeding you have to have a cool phase
    Lengthing days and warming water are the trigger for Goldfish to spawn.
    No cool no eggs

Rick

18. LemonDiscus

Another spawn on this tank of reds.... I have been leaving the lights on 24 hours a day... I plan to run this through free-swimmer stage... but before I put the horses butt before the head, I need to make it to wigglers this time.

I heard from other Discus breeders that some discus stress by the lights on/off and eat the eggs when the lights come back on or shortly after... mine were eating the eggs in the morning... so its worth a shot... I am still not hopeful though..

BTW Rick, I did Goldfish before my Oscars... I used to have a pond in the patio of my apartment and grew fantails out to almost a foot long (about 3 years of growing from the "baby" size they sell in the stores) I lost all of them when I had to move... You are right they are peaceful and I enjoyed them fully... I wanted to bring the tanks inside switched to Oscars (sorry, seeing how big goldfish get I did not have the heart to put them in a tank) and well... like said in your one post the Oscars would rip my tank apart and jumped out killing themselves... Got sick of them and switched to Discus...

So I have done Goldfish, and I will at some point (when I have my own house and can make a watergarden again) do goldfish again! Just not now....

19. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Don't pay to much attention to me, I try to convert everyone. I do it more out of fun that actually trying to bring you into the alliance. Keep what you like and keep it fun. By the way you just think Discus are expensive wait to the goldfish come

Rick

20. LemonDiscus

:) I know goldfish are expensive... heck the foot long fantails were around $40 each and they were just plain ole run of the mill like the ones at most stores that you pay $3 for a small one... Not even the fancy ones like you have...

Koi are even worse... I had 2 Japanese Koi in my pond too.... I paid $100 each for them.... and they died too.... I lost WAY TOO much money that week!

The conditions in each patio that I had were different... the soil sucks at the one I have now and the patio is very shaded... my old one had GREAT soil and was sunny most of the day... I lost thousands in plants and then the fish.... I was not a happy camper when we moved... all that just to get another bedroom because of our second kid... Sometimes I wish we stayed in the 2 bed with the patio we had!

BTW - This morning the eggs are still there and daddy is tending them as he always does....