1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

LemonDiscus: 20 Gallon Discus Breeder

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Sep 16, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

My luck at artificially raising Angelfish sucked... I dont know if I really want to try it with Discus.... I have read how to do it but... IDK... I dont think I have the time to spend on it...

Do you have any idea Rick on how to make a screen to protect the eggs from the parents? Maybe this is the next step... maybe if they go free swimming the parents wont eat them at that point... IDK... I am running out of ideas here... :confused:

2. LemonDiscus

I actually found something on how to make the screen... now I just have to figure out a way to make it work with the cone in their tank.... I think this will be my next try....

3. LemonDiscus

I purchased a roll of "gutter guard" mesh... I will make the screen here in a day or 2... they should have eggs again by the end of the weekend....

4. LemonDiscus

Well, they had eggs again... I put the mesh up to guard the eggs from mean parents... time to wait and see... getting a bit more fungus than I would like to have but I am not taking this thing off.... At this point I am more than willing to experiment....

I dont know what day they were put down as the parents were not guarding the eggs when I found them... (usually the male is right there to protect them)...

5. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

running an airstone around the eggs should help with the fungus

6. LemonDiscus

my airpumps are shot.... :confused:

7. LemonDiscus

I placed the male from the 30 gallon tank in here with the female... there is a batch of eggs left from the male that likes to eat them but she is now tending them. I will see if this male will be a foster... They seem to mix well...

Hopefully the new female he will be interested in... he is a much better father than the other one which is now in my 55 gallon "leftover" tank... :)

8. LemonDiscus

Here are the 2 together.... You can see the eggs too from the other male and her...
    pbBoth.jpg

9. LemonDiscus

New inhabitants of the 20 gallon... Swapped the pairs around... I did separate these 2 with another divider I made... They did better down here but she is STILL pushing him around and he DOES NOT stand up for himself... I have no idea what to do... I do think this IS better though as they dont fight quite as much in here... its not her "territory"
    20fish.jpg 20.jpg

10. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Sometime little changes make a big difference especially with New World Cichlids like Discus. I have seen things change for the better or worst in a matter of minutes with them.

Rick

11. LemonDiscus

I am hoping that later today when I get home I will be able to permanently remove the divider and they will be ok... I am too nervous because of loosing the last fish to this female to let them stay together unsupervised!

I have NO IDEA how long I should leave them divided in the same tank.... I cant afford to loose another fish that expensive... and he is EXACTLY what I wanted her to pair with!

12. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

You have to do that by feel and instinct it pretty much a fish by fish basis but once she becomes ripe you should be OK

Rick

13. LemonDiscus

She seems better each day so far... She isnt attacking (or trying to) him through the divider... I am trying to give them a few hours of supervised together time each day... I REALLY cant afford to loose this one!

14. LemonDiscus

Which reminds me... This morning before I left for work the 2 of them were staring at each other through the divider...

He is jittering on his half and she is from time to time too... him more often than her... It DOES seem promising from what I have seen so far...

15. LemonDiscus

I pinned the 2 of them into a small end of the tank. They are both on the same side of the divider and not a whole lot of room for them to move... They seem to be getting along the best they will for right now.

She still hits him from time to time but due to the lack of space she cant swim and hit him at full force. He is holding his ground and they occasionally lip lock. (They are pushed into about 1/3 of the 20 gallon tank together)

He is not showing stress as much as he did a few days ago even though he is still getting attacked...

Hopefully he will be OK while I am at work.... The last thing I want to see is a dead fish when I get home...

16. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

separate them went your at work just to be safe!

Rick

17. LemonDiscus

Im at work now... I forgot to do that this morning... :confused:

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Fingers crossed for ya, I'm sure they'll be fine

19. LemonDiscus

I kind of think so too... She is guarding the cone and he seems fairly happy for the most part...

20. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

ah yes...the joys of being wired
    I'm at work also, in the field on a laptop and 3G modem
    in the middle of the Everglades

Rick