1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

LemonDiscus: 30 Gallon Discus Breeder

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Sep 16, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Ok, I changed this tank around a bit and it is NO LONGER planted. I added the Tera Cotta pot for a spawning site. This is the tank and the pair.

This pair has not spawned in almost 3 weeks. Its getting aggravating. Hopefully the pot might increase their interest in spawning again. I dont know. I am about out of ideas.
    30-2-fish.jpg 30-2.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

too plain...says in her drill sgt. voice, "add the plants back right now Mr."
    Lol

3. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

well if you want them to breed just keep give them clean water( crazy but i heard chinese hobbiest do 98% water changes everyday) and keep them unstressed like in a place where they dont see much movement and lights dont go on and off also bloodworms help

4. LemonDiscus

Thats what I am doing (only 50-60% WC daily) and no stress where they are... I even shut the cat out of the room ;)

:) @ Dawn

5. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

omg... i hate water changes.... you try doing a 20% water change on a 200 gallon tank with a 5 gallon bucket....

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

one word steven....Python

7. LemonDiscus

Was doing 50% on my 125 with a 5 gallon bucket.... I got smart and just drain it now into the sink that is not even 2 feet away from the tank and refill with a hose now! I used to be scared to do that but I have not had any issues doing that even with the wilds. Strangely they get right back into pairing behavior every time I do that.... They wont spawn though... leave it to a Heckel! :confused:

8. LemonDiscus

Done a few more waterchanges the past few days and I fed them when I got home from work and they were guarding a spot on the backside of the pot... no eggs yet though... time will tell as they usually spawn in the evening

I also added yesterday that stupid road cone back to this tank... figured maybe the addition of another possible spawning site MIGHT give them the idea of what I want them to do.

9. angelLuver

angelLuver New Member

lol, good luck lemon !! lol... thinking of buying hubby a stupid road cone for christmassss !!!

10. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Ok Lemon... I now have a fully cycled 45 gallon hex tank. LFS has some small Discus. I would love to try keeping Discus but have no idea how to keep them. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, what would be good fish to keep with them? I currently have an Angel, two Neons, 2 Zebra danios, and a Clown Loach that is going in my bigger tank as soon as he grows some...

11. LemonDiscus

Start with 6 Discus ALL AT ONCE! Angels gotta go (they carry a disease known as Discus Plauge and IT IS REAL), The neons wont survive in the heat and MAY turn into something for the Discus to hunt... Danios need to go as well as the loach.

There are not many suitable tankmates for Discus. Cardinal Tetras are good (little larger than neons and MUCH prettier) SOME Cories, many cant take the heat... (I have used albinos and blues myself) STAY AWAY FROM ALL PLECOS (they say the only one that is OK is the bristlenose)... Even Otos CAN irritate the discus and try to suck their slime coat (I seen this myself at my LFS... not a pretty sight)

There is TONS of other info about discus... I will be more than glad to answer with what I know... PM me if you have more questions.

12. LemonDiscus

Added a new male to this tank... sunk a pretty penny on this one fish (over $100) and he is not a "show" quality fish as he was beat up by his previous spouse and sold back to the pet store.

This guy is HUGE though @ about 7.5" and 2.5 years old! Perfect breeder. His fins are a bit tattered from the abuse but you can see he is a pretty fish beyond all that.

I just finished acclimating him and I dont want to stress him more than he already is today. I will get pictures of him another day once he is calmer... He is a Colbalt Blue... Really pretty fish and I got that red one out as he isnt breeding with her anymore....

At least now I KNOW they will make assorted blue varieties (my favorite color of domestics)

If these guys breed I WONT be doing the wilds in my display but picking the specimens I want and putting THEM in the display....

The female seems to REALLY like him as she started jittering almost instantly and still is (about an hour later) from when he was added to the tank... I can see her "nesting" and picking out where the couch and the cribs are going to go! :)

13. LemonDiscus

The female killed that male.... GRRRRRR

The other males back in the tank... I will try a new male when I get the $$$ for another... THIS TIME I WILL use a DIVIDER (egg crate light diffuser) to separate them for a while before letting them stay together!

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

man, sorry to hear that...you really are having one heck of a month with those discus aren't ya buddy!

15. LemonDiscus

You just dont know dawn!!! I have not had a spawn with these 2 in over a month to top things off.... the other pair seems to be going the same way at this time too! The other pair is has not spawned in over 2 weeks!

Not to mention the "mean" discus killing the others... The bad part is last week just was not a good week between the fish and my personal and work life...

16. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I feel your pain my freind you haven't had any good luck with the fish this month have you, but on the bright side it's got to get better.
    Just hang in and keep your head up

Rick

17. LemonDiscus

:) Yeah true... It cant get MUCH worse!

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

as the old addage goes..."When it rains, It pours"
    I've had many a times like that...stuff going wrong, personal stuff at the same time, and almost everyones issue (financial woes). Lmdao!

Look on the bright side...it (the bad) can't last forever. I think that's a bright side? Lol!

19. LemonDiscus

I added back to their tank the piece of driftwood they paired off with from the 125 Display.... I am hoping they are at least mildly nostalgic... maybe it will trigger them as they quit spawning once I took the driftwood from them (but go figure they NEVER actually spawned on the driftwood...)

These 2 are even more frustrating than the other 2 because I KNOW these wont eat the babies.... I KNOW they will get the babies to free-swimming... I KNOW I have a chance to have a spawn to raise IF they spawn again....

Like the other tank, this is what I feel like I am doing with these fish now [banghead]

20. LemonDiscus

I have almost had it with these 2! I even moved the tank around and tried to center everything... still NOTHING!!! I was hoping that by all of the breeding areas in the middle the male and female may come together... nope... I may try to move everything to the side that seems to be "his half" and see what happens...

:roll: