1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

LemonDiscus: 30 Gallon Discus Breeder

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Sep 16, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

The aggression between these 2 has toned down significantly... I dont think it will be too long before she wants to make a spawning run...

2. LemonDiscus

Well... this "forced pair" spawned today... I gave up trying and even put them for sale.... now they spawn... go figure...

Also my 20 gallon I found a new pair.... I have a spawn in there working on day 2 now....

Sheesh!

So of those 5 Marlboro Reds there are CONFIRMED 2 pairs..... I think I am going to reconsider sale and price now... :confused:

3. LemonDiscus

This forced pair's spawn. I had to turn the cone a bit to take the picture and turned it back later...

This is the male that let his fry get to free-swimmers with the blue female before but quit spawning with her... He is a known good parent... her... she is an egg eater... I will see if she picks up the behavior he know and if not after the next spawn I will separate them and leave him on the side with the eggs....

This is a HUGE spawn! These eggs are at 1 day old with this picture... about 1.5-2 more days to hatch...
    30Eggs.jpg

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

awe, pretty mommy and daddy!
    good luck with the eggs Ryan.

5. LemonDiscus

Thanks I need it! :)

6. LemonDiscus

Also BB version of this tank... This pair spawns about every 2 weeks... still yet to get them to freeswimming...
    30.jpg

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Still gorgeous fish...especially the one on the bottom in photo 30.jpg

8. LemonDiscus

That one is one of the only red ones I like! That is the female of this pair... She is HUGE and SO PRETTY!

I MAY buy her a new male... I dont think this one that is with her is good enough for her IMO...

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

she looks pretty, that is for sure!
    background check the male before you get him...find out who he's ran with. Lol! (sorry, couldn't help that 1 Ryan).

So the females have more color than the males? (I know with most tropicals it always seems to be the males with the color)

10. LemonDiscus

No not always true... Actually not true at all... Just happens to be the case with most of mine...

I do have the 1 pair in the 20 and both look identical... The ONLY way I can tell them apart is the male is slightly bigger and has a blue spot on his gill the female does not have.

Color IS NOT an indicator of male or female! The BEST way to tell is the dorsal and anal fins on SOME males come to a point. There are males that do not have these "streamers" BUT NO female has them... So sexing males is MUCH easier than sexing females.. If they dont have the point than it could be either or.. that is when the tube comes into play... But even with all fish showing tubes down sometimes the female does not fully expose her tube and then she will kind of look like a male... Its REALLY hard to describe and to be honest just as hard to actually do.

When shopping for a specific sex it sometimes takes me an hour or 2 of observing in order to find what I want and if I NEED 1 sex and I am not sure I just wont buy it...

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

okay, thanks for the info!

12. LemonDiscus

No problem Dawn!

Well this female started beating up on the male and ALMOST killed him! I switched the males which kind of sucks because the 2 in the 20 gallon tank were about to spawn...

13. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

These fish must not form very strong pair bonds?

Rick

14. LemonDiscus

Nope... Not like Angelfish at ALL!

Ive read that they are NOT monogamous at all and at anytime the pair bond can be broken... if it is, then you have to adjust some...

The bond is strongest when rearing the fry... before and after that... well, its up to what the fish feel like doing.

15. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Would dither fish help?

16. LemonDiscus

Not in a breeding tank... they will eat the eggs... if not the eggs they will eat the babies...

I just switch males or divide if they get like this... OR like I did with the blue ones, toss them back in the Community Tank... I just dont want these red ones in my CT....

To be honest... I dont want or like the red ones... BUT I have pairs that are breeding so I use them for practice and learning... If I can get a few babies to sell... that will help me buy more blue ones...

17. LemonDiscus

I have my less than ideal pair in here but still ok fish none the less...

I painted the back the bottom and one side... I think I like :D

Im turning into a discus breeder I think (for those of you that dont know MANY discus keepers keep their fish in a bare bottom painted tank....)
    30Painted.jpg

18. LemonDiscus

Still no eggs... Im getting impatient now and may scrap this pair... reconfigure or something... I think I will give them a few days and reconsider what I will "try" and breed...

19. LemonDiscus

After a long hiatus the pair in here decided to spawn.... day one.... (This is the original egg eating pair that was in the 20g tank... The pretty red female with the blue face markings and the plain large red male...

Rather small spawn IMO but they are back in cycle now... Hopefully the larger capacity tank will help a spawn... I have reset EVERYTHING in this tank over the past month or so!

Changes made:
    Removed substrate... now Bare Bottom (BB)
    Added Carbon to the filter (LOTS)
    Added another heater (this got my temp holding at 84 from its old 80)
    Switched through "pairs" Settled back on my 2 favorite Marlboro Reds again
    Changed feedings
    Increased Water Changes (well, they spawned and I have not changed water in 2 days... before that I was doing daily)
    Painted the bottom back and one side so the fish wont be fighting their reflection on the bottom anymore :)

I did a few other things too but I lost track of everything... I wasnt logging what I did...

20. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

dang man you have really had a run at this. i would like to go down this route one day. looking forward to the adventure :)

really pretty fish. i gotta feed mine more carrots....