1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

LemonDiscus: 30 Gallon Discus Breeder

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Sep 16, 2009.

1. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Have you ever tried Indian Almond Leaves?

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Mine actually do eat carrots! :) Its in their mix I make for them...

No... Thats about the only thing I have not done but my water is VERY soft out the tap and slightly acidic out the tap.

Anyhow they ate the eggs last night.... GRRRR [banghead]

3. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

thats why i wanna feed mine carrots cause yours have some BEAUTIFUL colors!!

do they need to have complete acesses to the eggs??? is there maybe a structure that maybe they could lay the eggs on but not get to them enough to eat??? not that it would be easy tho to set them up to lay the eggs on them.

maybe oneday they will just get the message to stop eating the eggs :) idk

4. LemonDiscus

No they dont need access to the eggs and I have made a cage for the cone before but the stupid fish knocked the cage out the way somehow and ate them when I did that...

5. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

dang!!! ha. make a stronger cage!!!!

6. LemonDiscus

That still doesnt mean they wont eat the freeswimmers... :confused: and I dont really want to try and hand raise Discus fry.... not easy... not at all!

7. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

you cant just remove the adult fish and and feed the fry crushed flake food????

8. LemonDiscus

Nope.... Crushed flake is too big.... Baby Brine shrimp is ok... but really the babies feed off of the parents slime coat for the first week or so...

That requires special care when raising by hand... I dont have that much free time on my hands to do that...

9. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

ahhh yea i bet it would take some special care if they did feed of the parents slime. hummm sounds like your in a pickle. do you think they will ever stop eating them??? ive heard some fish eat the young the first couple of times, but idk.

10. LemonDiscus

I have not idea at all...

I put this on another board venting my anger... This about sums up my experience TRYING to breed these fish:

These 2 stupid fish keep eating their eggs! I put up a cage and they break it down to eat them.... They have spawned now over 40 times and have ate EVERY batch!

I even broke them up and paired them with another pair (switched mates) and this was ok, they didnt eat them but the eggs never hatched even though they were fertile....

I put the "better 2" back together thinking they had time tending eggs and they might not do it now... well, new spawn 2 days ago after waiting almost a month for them to do it again and this morning they were all gone!

The other "pair" only tries to spawn every 3-4 months... and they are LOW quality... I just want to get some to practice breeding and raising... Oiy

I have another "pair" of Blue Turks in my community that seem to want to spawn (female shakes) but the male doesnt pay her any mind... if he tries shaking she beats him up!

Then last but not least I have a Heckel "pair" that of course guards their territory, shakes, cleans and everything... also no spawn but those dont surprise me other than they have been doing this for over 6 months now... I am more shocked that the male Heckel hasnt courted the Blue Turk female that wants to spawn...

11. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

dang....

im an amature at this fish stuff but take what i say with a grain of salt :)

from what ive gathered the cichlid will eat algie and stuff during the day seeking for food. maybe they do the eggs this way???? what if you added one of those slow relese feeders in the tank that they could nible on to take away the hunger???? or maybe you already have one and they still eat the eggs. idk. hope you can get it figured out. just reading the thread you have obvioulsy been at it for some time with alot of headachs.

12. LemonDiscus

Discus are a different animal my friend! Yes they are Cichlids but they are a creature with no comparison... With Discus, you have to take everything you know about fish and throw it out the window starting over from scratch!

Example.... Discus THRIVE in water 86*-90*F.... Most fish will die in those temps

13. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

ahhhhhh :)

like said im still an amature to this :)

14. LemonDiscus

Its all good! So am I ;)

15. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

obviously.....

haha just playin. hope you get it figured out. i would be beating my head off a wall by now.

16. LemonDiscus

I have several times beat my head on a wall!