1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Lemondiscus 30 Gallon Tank - Discus Breeder

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Aug 16, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

OH NO! You take the fry from the parents and they almost certainly will die! They feed off of their parents slime coat for the first 2 weeks or so until weened on regular food.

In a way it makes discus fry easier to care for because you dont really feed them right away... the parents do.

If you take them away the fry WONT eat anything! They need the protein the parents slime coat provides!

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I recall you saying something about feeding off the parent before...wasn't sure if afterwards you removed them or just left them with the parents the entire time.

3. LemonDiscus

You remove after about 2-3 weeks free swimming from their parents... around that time they are weaned

4. angelLuver

angelLuver New Member

your so luck!!! congratz lemon !!

5. LemonDiscus

Just counted.... Less than 20 wigglers

6. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

awwwww congrats on being a Grandpa!

7. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

congrats on the wigglers !! ;)

8. LemonDiscus

Ok... down to only 3 free-swimmers today... I dont know if the parents are feeding or if there is not enough for them to continue to care for the spawn. Anyhow regardless this spawn was MUCH more productive!

I think I will let them try 1 more time and see what I get. I would like to get 3-5 babies to adult size for me to keep from these 2 before breaking them up.

9. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

they will probably do better next spawn

Rick

10. LemonDiscus

I am pretty sure of it too! They say it could take many spawns for them to get it right. They are getting better and to have any free swimmers on the second spawn is a good think. I think they will die though. I dont think there are enough fry for the parents to bother feeding them.

No biggie though.

I think the Heckel in the 20 gallon I am trying to fatten up is a male. It has streamers on its dorsal fin and anal fin. I know thats not a totally reliable method but I still think I will at some point pull out the male in the tank now and try the Heckel with her!

Maybe the chance to spawn might snap it out of being depressed! :) It would work for me! :)

11. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

lemon got any pics of fry broskii? :) xox

12. LemonDiscus

Nope... they are all dead. I dont think the parents cared to feed only 3-5. Next spawn should be MUCH better! I plan on getting a picture of the fry feeding on the parents. Thats a cool thing to see! ;)

13. angelLuver

angelLuver New Member

aw lemon !!!so sorry for you and us !!!! we were all rooting for you!!

14. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

aww i'm sorry, must be getting very frustrating

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

<--short tempered..would be breaking something at that point.

16. angelLuver

angelLuver New Member

ahhhhhhh,sorry dawn...not buying what your selling this time!!! u short tempered???? you always reply to my thousands of stupid questions and never get mad !!!! your the greatest !!!! ask my hubby,i am always telling him DAWN SAID !!! hehehehe

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

lmao, I can do questions...I can't do things that frustrate the heck outta ya...like when you get to the last step of building something and the darn thing is missing a part or it breaks from overtightening a screw.

Or when you have an entire day of the dropsys (today). Lol!
    Yep, you can ask anyone in my family and they'll tell you about my not so great temper (aka mouth). Lol.

Other than that..I'm nice. Hehe

18. angelLuver

angelLuver New Member

hehehe no wonder we get along so well !

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

;)

20. LemonDiscus

Ehhh its ok... I am not really discouraged. Quite the contrary I am rather encouraged that there was progress up to free swimmers! Thats actually a GREAT thing. Reading I have heard of people who's Discus require over 10 spawns to get it right and some just never do! Mine are not eating their young so I am happy.

It does also give me time as I have NO TANKS left right now! All 4 of my tanks are occupied at the moment. I can fix that quick but right now I want them how they are.

It also gives me time to get that one Heckel in the 2 gallon back up to weight again. He IS eating but not aggressively. More like a bottom cleaner right now which is why I pulled him from the display tank. But regardless he is actually eating quite a bit each day. I am feeding him 3+ times a day of about 2 portions of FBW for a single fish.

Again, I think this one is gonna go in with the female later. I am about 85% sure like I said its a male. But he needs to eat and get some weight before he will be ready to breed. That would be my ideal pair short of a Heckel/Heckel pair which I dont see happening but I am working on it in my display which is why my 55 is stocked with the red ones again :)