1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

LemonDiscus's Angels have spawned!

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Stellaluna, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Stellaluna

Stellaluna Thread Starter New Member

Hello! I got a proven pair of silver angels from LemonDiscus and they have spawned. I now have a cloud of babies, being looked after most diligently by their parents, whom have been named Frank and Agnes. I am about ready to remove the parents and raise the fry myself, since they no longer need the protection of their parents. We'll see how many survive. These are unusually attentive parents, as most angelfish go, from what I understand.

Here's a pic of the pair (Frank in the foreground, Agnes towards the rear):
    ai96.photobucket.com_albums_l168_EWrightB_aquarium_Angel_spawn_0609.jpg

Here is Frank with his babies (they are not all in the pic- there must be 50):
    ai96.photobucket.com_albums_l168_EWrightB_aquarium_Angel_fry_0609.jpg

2. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Congratulations Stella, I hope my angels will grow up to be 2 different sexes and a pair. That'd be great! :)

3. Stellaluna

I do too, Guidoman - it is extremely interesting to watch them do their thing. :D

4. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Yeah, angels are unique fish in their way of parenting :)

5. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

great looking fish.

6. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

good parents!

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sooo Pretty!

8. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

By the way stella, Do you have a pic of the full setup It looks kinda cool from what i've seen here.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

There's over 60 in that picture alone, they had a nice sized batch of fry. Congrats.

10. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Im glad that they spawned for you! I promised you that they are GREAT parents! I was not kidding... they will ONLY eat spawns after about the 3rd or 4th when they cant keep up with all the babies... they will just abort the current spawn... they WONT eat any of the existing young....

Just thought I would let you know! Cool names too :)

I would pull the young out when they are a bit older myself... let them care for them until they are about half the size of a dime to dime size.. that is when I pulled the young... by that time the parents were getting ready to spawn for the 3rd or 4th time...

11. LemonDiscus

Oh... I bet they spawned on a sword leaf too! lol

12. Stellaluna

They DID spawn on a sword, and they ate their babies this time after they were good and solid free swimming, but I am not discouraged. Every day the numbers went down lower and lower. :cry: The pair were bickering quite a bit and I could tell they were ready to go again, however.

Now they spawned again, a bigger clutch, so since they are so great with the eggs and the wigglers, I'm going to pull the babies once they are free swimming, since Frank keeps them in a very tight wad at the surface, and will hopefully be easy to scoop up if I'm quick. I am glad to let them do the hard work, but once they are scooting around I'll try to take it over from there. I set up a 37g tall next to this tank and will use parent-tank water when I make the move, and grow out the fry in the 37. This has been a lot of fun, and the two of them are doing great.

I am glad I was able to take them off your hands! I think it is good to support reproduction of angels that are good parents, since so many are not, and maybe the babies will turn out to be good parents as well.

I'll keep you posted!

13. LemonDiscus

Good to hear... I know those 2 all too well... They were selected for their parenthood... The male picked 2 females... I picked him with her because the other female ate the young... that one did not...

Frank does keep them in one spot... he is a MUCH better parent than she is... but they both are good! He spends most of the day collecting strays and putting them back in a group :)

I also knew it was a sword... they NEVER spawned on ANYTHING else!

Good to hear they are doing well and have spawned for you! Good luck with them. Like I told you I lost time and desire to mess with Angels and am VERY glad for them to have a home with an attentive keeper!

14. Stellaluna

You are right - Frank is much more attentive, and he is the one with the cloud of babies around his head, spitting them into a tight group. Agnes is no slouch, but he seems to be "Mr. Mom" when it comes to the fry.

Now I am beginning to wonder if the babies starved instead of having been eaten, based on what you describe from previous spawns. The tank is heavily planted and does not have a lot of current but I did NOT use BBS and used the powdered "First Bites" stuff instead - this might not have gotten to them properly, though I tried.

Did you use BBS for them after hatching? I find hatching BBS to be a pain but will do so if that is the best way to stimulate feeding behavior. Even frozen daphnia seems too big for them, but I tried that with them when they got a little bigger. I have to admit I never actually witnessed any fry-eating going on (if they did appear to "eat" them, they'd spit them back out in a different location eventually).

The two of them are trying to keep track of wigglers as we speak, so it won't be long now before we give this another try!

I have a 37-gallon set up next to their tank, essentially bare, and I can move babies into that if necessary, along with a big PWC using parent-tank water. We'll see how it goes.

15. LemonDiscus

Yes I used frozen BBS and had a better success rate than the first bites.... the first bites had a success rate of about 10-20%... FBBS had about a 30-50% living rate...

I would assume live BBS would be even better. I just did not have the space or the time for a BS Hatchery.

I dont think that the parents ate them... I bet they just never ate and starved... quite normal actually.

I also dont think the planted tank really matters. They will eat or not regardless on the tank they are in... although catching them in a planted tank is a nightmare! :)

16. Stellaluna

OK - I looked in the closet and dug out my old BBS hatching kit, and a couple of pouches of eggs. Hopefully they are still good, though it has been a couple of years. I figured the heavy plantings prevents the food from getting right to them, maybe, or they get lost in the leaves and don't come out to eat.

If I DO catch them, I will do it right after they are free swimming, because Frank keeps them right at the surface in a very tight group, and I can just net most of them out in one swoop with my fine net. After another day or so they spread around the tank and it would be just about impossible.

I think I will leave them in the tank this time and try live BBS and see how that works. I'll use the turkey baster and really aim the food at them this time, lol.

Thanks for the help!

17. LemonDiscus

Sounds like a good plan...

Also.. be careful when moving them as they are FRAGILE! I killed over half one time trying to net them out... I dont know if it was the net or the difference in water parameters (they were REALLY close to the same though)

Regardless I lost several fish... Personally I prefered to leave them with the parents to save moving and if I wanted to separate, I moved the parents... not the babies... That worked well until I had young in all of my tanks and the parents had no more tanks :)

18. Stellaluna

Thanks for the tip. With that in mind and with their past history, I will leave the babies alone, and if necessary Frank & Agnes can move over to the 37 while this batch matures. The 37 is a very tall tank so it is appropriate for them, and I can transfer water from the 40g at the same time. I think I'd feel better about moving the adults than the babies, but I will try my best to keep the babies fed where they are and see how it goes. Frank & Agnes get a second chance! :D

19. LemonDiscus

That is a GREAT plan there! I think that will work MUCH better for you ;)

20. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

Wow nice babies :) they are well nice angel's :)