1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

LemonDiscus's Angels have spawned!

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Stellaluna, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Stellaluna

Stellaluna Thread Starter New Member

Re: LemonDiscus's Angels have spawned! *Updated Pics*

Here is a full tank shot of Frank & Agnes and their brood (babies are now 5 full days free swimming). You can see the sword plants are immature so the leaves are pretty small, but they enjoy using them anyway - they'll even move the eggs from one leaf to another if they decide they like another one better:

ai96.photobucket.com_albums_l168_EWrightB_aquarium_Angel_Fry_0709_2.jpg

Here is a closeup of the happy family:

ai96.photobucket.com_albums_l168_EWrightB_aquarium_Angel_Fry_0709.jpg

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Did you mention what size tank that is ?

3. Stellaluna

That is a 40-gallon breeder - 36w x 16h x 18d (or so)

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

very nice pictures!

5. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

awesome pics :D

6. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

The fry are getting really big! :D

They make such an interesting group of fish to watch... they make you wonder about life in general... (well they did for me) because the parents are so good tending the young... Its hard to believe fish with their small brains are capable of being so nurturing.

7. Stellaluna

I agree - what on earth keeps them from eating them? That's why I love cichlids. Most of them are great parents.

You can now start to see that some of the fry are very light in color, and some are going to be darker marbled, and some are much bigger than others. This is another advantage of working at home - I can feed them often throughout the day, and the tank is in my office so I can keep an eye on things.

You were absolutely right - they did NOT eat their babies like I assumed last time. It is obvious they were just not getting enough food, so I paid extra attention to that this time around. I am glad I did not have to move anybody, though I do have another tank up and running, waiting as a growout tank once they spawn again.

I really appreciate the advice and support!

8. LemonDiscus

Thats good!

Yeah I was getting about

50% Silvers
    25% Marbled
    25% White

I would love to see an adult white one from them... I always sold them even though I wanted to keep a few.....

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Okay. I thought it looked pretty deep.

10. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

very nice...congrats on the fry

11. Stellaluna

Ryan, I will likely keep a few, and I will certainly keep the forum up to date with what happens. I have bred and sold many a cichlid in my day, but they were always Africans who did ALL the work themselves, and the babies always looked exactly like the adults, so there was no real mystery - just a baby fish factory. I've been "breeding" Endler's for years too, but as we know, it is not a question of how to get them to breed, but how to get them to stop, lol.

In fact, Keith (Azalea Aquariums) has a display tank of N. leleupi (vividly colored Kodak box yellow, torpedo-shaped cichlids) in the SW side of the store that he got from me. I finally got bored with it, since there was really nothing I needed to do to keep things going. These angels require active participation on my part, and I am enjoying it.

Do you think Keith will buy some juvies once they grow out?

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think I'd like to buy a few. :D

13. LemonDiscus

IDK if Keith would... he may....

Fin and Feather always bought mine or traded for something else that I wanted (same idea though... lol)