1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

LFS Had Ich... Or Was It Velvet ?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Anthony, Sep 17, 2008.

1. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

Re: LFS Had Ich

yeah me too shannon....i'm actually looking at the bottle right now.....it didn't do anything but cloud my tank......

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

but it didn't work for you?

When I used it, I shook the bottle like crazy and then put more than the dosage into the tank. It made the tank brown and smell a little funny for awhile and then it disappeared and everything was fine. I went through two bottles of the stuff and treated for longer than a week I think but after all that everything was fine. I didn't really know if it worked but my fish didn't get ich again when I moved from pittsburgh to CT on a 10 hour very stressful ride so I must have gotten rid of it.

3. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

Well, I'm headed out now. Worse comes to worse I'll get the Ich Attack if I can find it and just order some Kick Ich. I can't let these guys suffer.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

good luck!

5. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

yeah ant...good luck!

6. Anthony

Okay so here's what I got. PetSmart had the Ich Attack so I got that. While I was looking on that aisle I notice a UV Sterilizer on the top shelf. I asked the guy how much it was and he said he would go check. He was only $50.00 so I got that. It was an overstock product so it was reduced a lot. It's a 24watt system. That should help if not eliminate the ich by itself, right ?

7. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

it will also iliminate all your benificial bacteria as well....i wouldn't put that in until youe tank is fully established......

8. Anthony

That will also take a while. The tank is cycled and I can always put in more bio spira in if I need to. I'd rather get rid of the ich and worry about the beneficial bacteria later.

9. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

ok, good luck!!

10. Anthony

That Ich Attack made my water look like tea. :eek: One damsel doesn't look well at all now. *Sigh* I guess all I can do now is wait it out and see what happens. I won't be buying fish from what place anymore.

11. yovaniq

yovaniq New Member

Hello, ive had many tanks and have gone thru alot of fish. ive always tried the fresh water dip sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt but alot of the fish stores i go to try that technique.

12. Anthony

It seems like the Ich Attack is really stressing the fish out. I put some carbon in my filters to try to remove it. I'll probably try a freshwater dip tomorrow if they don't look any better.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

The stuff does make the water look like tea but it shouldn't be stressing the fish out. I think that a more important lesson you've learned is you need to quarantine ALL new fish, even if they are the first fish you get. Many lfs will have ich, especially with SW because you can't always spot it right away. Quarantining is the most important thing to do and I will tell people over and over again to do it. 10 gallon tanks aren't expensive to set up.

My fish seemed stressed when I first put the meds into the tank too. Then after a few hours the brownish looking kind of disappeared and the fish were fine again. That would happen every time I put more meds in there.

14. Anthony

Quarantine, what's that ? LoL

The fish are starting to move around a bit more now. The 4 strip damsel doesn't look well not. He's sitting on the sand behind a rock. The blenny seems fine. He was just out pushing crabs off his rock again.

My Drs Foster and Smith order should be here tomorrow. After I get my salt I'll be doing a water change and if the fish don't look better, a freshwater dip.

15. Anthony

Well, I woke up to three dead damsels. :confused: I'm really confused to why they died exactly. Their ich wasn't that bad externally. They only had a few little white spots each. Their breathing was VERY heavy so I guess their gills were filled with it. The next fish I get will have a freshwater dip before being placed in my tank. Hopefully the blenny doesn't get it. As soon as I came over to the tank he came out of his rock hole and swam around looking for food, and so far as no signs of ich.

16. luvfish

luvfish New Member

Sorry to hear that :cry: but it may have been a blessing in disguse. As much as I love damsels (and I do, I love beautiful aggressive fish) I do realise how they can be to any new fish added to the tank.

What are you getting from the good doctors? I haven't read the whole thread!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

the next fish you get needs to be QUARANTINED!!! Not fresh water dipped. Fresh water dip won't protect you against everything, if anything.

Are you sure it was ich and not velvet? Most damsels I see at LFS have velvet.

If it was ich, then I would suggest continuing to treat the tank because its still living in there, the blenny just might not have signs of it showing.

18. Anthony

I know I should quarantine, but I never have before. I'm going to try once more my way then if I have a problem I'll quarantine them. LoL When I stopped at the same fish store yesterday to see if they had the ich treatment their fish looked bad as well. I just won't be buying fish from there again. The other fish store I went to yesterday have much healthier fish. I'll just buy them from there from now on.

I'm pretty sure it was ich, it didn't look like velvet to me but because of their breathing I'm not 100% sure. They were literally breathing about 4 times a second.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

So sorry to hear that Ant, but your hard headed lol, losing two fish isnt bad enough to cause you to quarantine, maybe you will be safe for the next six months, have that tank looking right, beautiful fish, and coral growing abundantly. What happens when you get ick then? Or something worse? I agree with Spock you should probably start quarantining. I dont have a salt tank and never have, and am by no means an expert or even a noob at the subject, but shoot I wouldnt risk the chance for someone to say I told you so. Good luck buddy, lol.

20. Anthony

LoL I know, I'm stubborn sometimes. I'm going to continue treating the tank for a few days and see what happens. Hopefully the blenny doesn't show any signs of ich or velvet. According to what I read online it was velvet because of the labored breathing. Also, it said once the cysts fall off it takes 3 days for the cells to divide and become free swimming (Which the cysts didn't fall off the fish yet). After that, 2-3 days of searching for a host and if nothing is found it dies. So in 6 days if the blenny doesn't show any signs of illness I should be in the clear. *Crosses fingers*