1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

LFS + my fish = Death

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Mynxy, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Mynxy

Mynxy Thread Starter New Member

We had a 10 pack of beautiful healthy Tiger Barbs that we sold to our lfs, and they all died their third day there. They were our little buddies & I'm sad. We brought them in a big bucket, and we saw them put into plastic bags and floated. When I visited today, I heard that the second day they didn't eat, and the third day they were dead. The two Platinum Barbs were still alive, however, but one had two blood-red spots on his side down by the belly. Did we give them bad fish, or did something else happen? Can fish just stress to death all at once? :(

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

It is possible that they died due to stress...which may be the case because the not eating sounds like they were pretty darn stressed out (new environment, different water parameters probably, different food).

BUT if they were perfectly healthy...survived the transfer to the store and into their tank (meaning past the initial 24 hour point)...it's also likely it was something with their (lfs) water since I've never seen a fish store do a daily water change, know they highly overstock their tanks, not to mention constantly getting new arrivals and some with disease/injury, kids smacking on the tanks and numerous people walking by and point at the tank, and lets not forget to make mention of most leaving dead fish in the tank water to rot.

In order for them to make profit we honestly know they don't care for them like most of do...we are their "rescuers" so to speak. More often when we buy them they get a tank upgrade...they get clean water...a good quality food...and most importantly a stable environment.

Platinum Barbs with Red streaks you say? Maybe lack of oxygen.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Regardless, I'm really sorry to hear that. I would be VERY frustated learning that something that thrived in my tank died in the lfs tank (rather than getting a nice home like I'm sure you had thought).

4. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

There is one LFS I sell to in Tampa that I have to acclimate all the fish I sell her or they'll all be dead within the hour from the time she opens the bag.
    Her water is a full 1 1/2 points lower in pH than ours

Rick

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

this is where drip acclimation comes in. Had he dripped them they would still be alive more then likely if it was stress.

6. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

More that likely, T would bet there was something radically different in the water chemistry

Rick

7. Mynxy

How do you do this? Do you acclimate them in the store, or do you get a hold of some of the store's water?

p.s. and how do you get quotes into those blue boxes?

8. Mynxy

Yes, much sadness and regret about selling them the barbs. Thank you for the kind words. I still feel guilty, but less so if it wasn't my fault. I'll keep my fish, or give them to a friend next time.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Highlight the text and select Quote OR click the box for reply with quote

10. Mynxy

Thanks!

11. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I acclimate them in the store

Rick