1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

lip locking:severum and green terror (Advice wanted)

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

My severum and green terror are constantly biting each others lips, the encounter usually last about 20 seconds and then they stop and start all over. They dont seem to be doing any damage to each other and this is the first time I have seen the behavior. I was wondering if it could lead to injuries or anything like that? Would adding dither fish help reduce this behavior? Any suggestions are welcome.

Sorry forgot to tell you that both fish are 6-8" and in my 125.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: lip locking

Yes, it can and more than likely will cause injury or death. Is it just those two in the tank ?

3. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

try putting some rockwork in between them in the middle of the tank, if they still go at it then your going to have to seperate them.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

that is terrible. Why would they all of a sudden start doing this?

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah its just those two by the way.

6. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

hey nells we're in chat right now if you want to join in.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Adding lots of rock work and other fish should keep it from happening as often. If

8. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

nelson is it the male or female terror, cause the female and the sevrum were raised together, and yea i would try putting alot of stuff like rocks in there since they are probably fighting over a territory they both want and if you put more place for them to make their own then it should stop and yea i have used small africans or something as dithers in a case i had like this and it worked well also, but in a 125 this should not be happening unless there is ALOT of wide open spaces and no places for each to call their own

green terrors really like having a cave or corner or hole to make their home so to speak

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Its the one you had, not the one from J, there are tons of hiding places in there. Im going to remove the severum rearrange and see how that works.

10. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

so it's the bigger one which is the female, then it might just be time for her to spawn , they get real honary when they are gonna spawn, it might be better just to take the severum out

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thats funny, my severums are big teddy bears. They run from my 2-3 inch Honduran Red Points. It cracks me up to watch a 2 inch fish intimidate a 6" fish. :)

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

My granfathers 2 jaguars lip locked and stopped and babies were there then the serverums vacumed into there mouth.