1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

liquid vs. dry ferts?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by yikesjason, Oct 3, 2008.

1. yikesjason

yikesjason Thread Starter New Member

liquid vs. dry ferts?
    I am pretty new at all of this, but I am trying to figure it all out.

That are the pros and cons of liquid vs. dry fertilizers? So far I have just used liquids because that is what I see at the store.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

With the plants in my Endler tank, I've only ever dosed it with Flourish Excel. I think a lot of which one you use depends on what type of plants you have and your substrate.

3. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

no help here my fish make all my ferts

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

liquid is easier to dose all the plants (just circulates in the water) but is not as effective. dry is a more direct application and you know your plants are getting it, thus making it more cost effective, but also more time consuming.

5. BobV

BobV Member

some plants like hornwort, anacharis, and other fast growing plants take their nutrients directly from the water....therefore, liquid ferts are best.. other rooted plants take more nutrients out of the substrate, and need root tabs. Flourish Excel is a carbon additive, and in many cases eliminates the need for DIY or pressurized CO2. Excel is not a fert. but a carbon additive, so ferts would still be required.