1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Lowering Alkalinity, health issues

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I noticed my some of my fish swimming at the op of the tank, well floating there would be a better word. I have checked ammonia, nitrates, pH, water hardness, etc. All are in the ideal range according to my strips. The only things I have added are a limestone rock, but like I said I checked the pH and it is in the exact range for my cichlids (8.2 for africans). The only other thing I can think of is the moss ball I bought at the petstore for giggles is being held down by a lead weight. Is there a chance that this is the problem?

Also, while testing the water I noticed that the alkalinity was a little high, any advice will help.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The problem is likely your test strips. You should always use liquid test kits. Strips don't give accurate results.

3. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

if fish are floating at top< and are not dead> i suggest a fast 50-75% water change

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Make sure your tank doesn't have too much current too.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Sadly, I lost two good friends today, a peacock and a blood parrot, :( . I have done a 50% water change they are still just sitting at the top, despite the blood parrot dying the other 4 seem to be doing the best behaiving normally, but my others are doing terrible. In the morning I am going to go to the lfs and get the liquid test kits and try to save my babes.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I hope everything goes well and everyone survives the night. Let us know the results ASAP.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Fish seemed t be doing better this morning, I am keeping a close eye on them as I was unable to get to the petstore today, I got called into work early and got off late :x Its been a long terrible day lol. Will post more info when I have it. Thanls for all of your help!

8. Penycat

Penycat New Member

What's the temp you have your tank set at? I so hope that you'll figure it out and I'm so sorry about the loss of those 2. i hate losing my fish:(

9. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

a quick tip feed them the frozen blood worms for a week straight makes it easy to check the poop for the unwanted stuff plus it kind of cleans them out and is a good source of protien

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks for the tip and I have actually just bought bloodworms and started feeding them the blood worms once a day so that works out well. Also, the temp is apr 75 degrees