1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Lowes Pea Pebbles Gravel

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MonteSS, Dec 19, 2008.

1. MonteSS

MonteSS Thread Starter New Member

I know alot of you use sand, especially with the Africans. I gues I am old school and prefer gravel for my future SA/CA Cichlids.

I am getting back into the hobby after many years away. I bought a used 75g and cabinet from Craigslist. I went to the LFS fror gravel and found that it was $15.99 for a 25# bag . I needed 150# so went looking for an alternative.

I went to a local Lowes and found this Pea Pebbles.

ai453.photobucket.com_albums_qq257_zz430t56_gravel1.jpg

It was only $3.99 for a 50# bag ;) . Nice size and color mixture.

ai453.photobucket.com_albums_qq257_zz430t56_stolen005_1.jpg

I got three bags and it was pretty dirty. I needed to rinse it off, but how. The guy I bought the tank from used to have lizards in it, so he included the mesh screen top with the sale. Worked perfect as a grate to wash the gravel. I did half a bag at at time. A few hours later it seemed fairly clean. I added it to the bare tank and filled it 3/4 full. I will vacuum a few times and change some water. So far it looks great and should work out well.

ai453.photobucket.com_albums_qq257_zz430t56_gravel3.jpg

...Bill

-> <a class="postlink" href="http://www.malornimotosports.com/coastalsupply/StoneLine/images/pdfFiles/120554%20PEA%20PEBBLES_R2V1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.malornimotosports.com/coasta ... S_R2V1.pdf</a>
    pea pebble.jpg

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

nice idea, I just wish that the pea gravel I found was a lot darker, without a bunch of the quartz thats usually in there

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I did that before. Works well. I think it was like 7 or 8 tanks ago.

4. MonteSS

Ya. Only on color choice.

Someone also mentioned that they look a bit sharp edges too.

...Bill

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I dont think you have anything to be worried about with sharp edges and pea gravel.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I did a 55 once with the same...scored it at walmart for under $5.00 a huge bag. It looked really nice at the time--just don't have any pictures of it.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

We also use this gravel. We did sand but man it kills filters. Best investment was that gravel. If you like rock, check out the local quarry for river rocks of various sizes. They make fabulous tank decor.

8. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

It really looks like mine though it's slightly different.

9. MonteSS

I tried the Lowes Paver sand in the new 46g. So far I like it alot. The smaller fish can move it and interact with it better.

I just turn filter off if really stirring it up and so far no probs.

Seems to be larger grained and lots of chunks/pebb;es. reddish brown in color

Cloudy tank just after cycling

ai453.photobucket.com_albums_qq257_zz430t56_fish116.jpg
    ai453.photobucket.com_albums_qq257_zz430t56_fish.jpg

....Bill

10. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Wow I love the setup of the tank!

11. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

That looks good! I like the mixture of sizes!

12. MonteSS

Was funny my Centrarchus and con were mating (both female) and digging a pit. The lil con moved one pebble at a time, as if using a shovel, and then came the bigger Cent. with a huge mouthfull like a bulldozer. Was fun to watch.

....Bill

I got the tank from Craigslist a didnt notice the top brace was broke. I'll get some better pics when its installed and finished